Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this without infinitesimals

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to find a way to use calculus without infinitesimals and I'm stuck on this physics problem.

It's a uniform charge distribution question. Basically a half circle with radius [itex]r[/itex] and you have to find the electric field at a point that is along its x-axis. The [itex]E_y[/itex] component will be 0 because of symmetry. So all you need is is [itex]E_x[/itex]. The equation ends up being:
    [tex]E_x=∫dEcosθ[/tex]
    The only way I know how to solve this is using infinitesimals and finding one in terms of the other, like this:
    [tex]dE=k\frac{dQ}{r^2}[/tex]
    [tex]dQ=\frac{Q}{πr}dy[/tex]
    [tex]dy=rdθ[/tex]
    Then substituting those in all the way up so I have my integral in terms of θ.

So how would I go about solving this without using infinitesimals? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

This is always difficult to explain.

##E_x = \int cos(\theta(E)) dE##.

On the one hand, ##E_x## is the area under ##y = cos(\theta(E))##, a Riemann sum of rectangles having width ##dE##. This seems to imply that ##dE## is a width, an infinitesimal width.

On the other hand, we have a rate of change ##dE## and a related rate of change ##cos(\theta(E)) dE## which when integrated, gives ##E_x##. The rate of change of ##E_x## is ##cos(\theta(E)) dE##, it is related to ##dE##, the rate of change of ##E##.

Which is it? Is ##dE## a width or is it a rate? This is a little like asking what is a number. One person will say, the thing you count with, another will say, an equivalence class of sets by cardinality, another will say, a Church numeral, etc, etc. There is no answer to that question. In the same way, it doesn't matter what ##dE## is, what matters is how differentials are used.

Of course, there is also the view that ##dE## is a finite width and ##cos(\theta(E))## is the gradient of the tangent to ##E_x## at ##E##, so ##cos(\theta(E)) dE## is the ##E_x## offset of the tangent at distance ##dE## from ##E##.

4. Sep 14, 2013 #3
    I think the general answer to this question (as it pertains to setting up integrals) is "Set up an approximating Riemann Sum and take a limit." Most of the time it's just a matter of changing all of the [itex]d[/itex]s to [itex]\Delta[/itex]s. In my experience, the physicists aren't using infinitesimals so much as they are being a bit lazy with limits and abusing notation. It gets the job done, though. So more power to 'em.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook