Solving x^3-x-1=0: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that x-1 does not meet the requirements for a rational root. There are only two possibilities for x-1, and neither of them work. One is x-1=2 and the other is x-1=-1. But neither of those work because x-1+1 and x-1-1 are not equal. So this equation has no rational roots.
SELFMADE
How to solve this? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

If you can divide the polynomial expression by a linear binomial, then you can determine what value of x of each binomial will make the binomial equal to zero. Try first divisors x+1, and x-1.

By the "rational root theorem", which says that if m/n (m and n integers) is a rational root of [itex]a_nx^n+ a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x+ a_0[/itex] then n must divide the "leading coefficient", [itex]a_n[/itex], and m must divide the "constant term", a_0. That tells us that the only possible rational roots for this equation are the intgers 1 and -1. Unfortunately, trying them [itex]1^3- 1- 1= -1[/itex] and [itex](-1)^3- (-1)-1= -1[/itex]. Since neither of those is equal neither 1 nor -1 is a root and so this equation has no rational roots.

But if x= 2, [itex]2^3- 2- 1= 5[/itex] so there is clearly a root between 1 and 2. The only thing I could suggest is Cardano's "cubic formula": http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac11/fac11.html.

Last edited by a moderator:

i have a similar problem

x^2 -x -20 < 0

this is what i have so far:

x^2 - x < 20

x^2 - x < 20
_______x to eliminate the power

x - 1 < 20
_______x

i'm pretty much stuck there, any help?
p.s. underscore is just to put the X where i want it

What exactly are you to do with that inequality? Find the range of values for x?

x - 1 < 20
_______x

I think at one point you divided by x to get this, but you can't just divide by x in an inequality, as the sign of x can change the inequality.

But if you want to get [itex]x^2-x-20[/itex] to have x to a single power then try completing the square.

Epic Jeff said:
i have a similar problem

x^2 -x -20 < 0

this is what i have so far:

x^2 - x < 20

x^2 - x < 20
_______x to eliminate the power

x - 1 < 20
_______x

i'm pretty much stuck there, any help?
p.s. underscore is just to put the X where i want it
Please do not "hijack" other people's threads for a new problem. And, I can see no similarity, except that they both involve polynomials.

I recommend you factor [itex]x^2- x- 20[/itex] which can be done relatively easily. Use the fact that the product of two numbers is negative if and only if one is positive and the other negative.

My bad, thanks for the help though.

What is the general method for solving x^3-x-1=0?

The general method for solving any cubic equation, including x^3-x-1=0, is to use the cubic formula. This formula involves finding the roots of a quadratic equation, which can be done using the quadratic formula.

What are the roots of x^3-x-1=0?

The cubic formula gives three roots for x^3-x-1=0, which are approximately -1.3247, 0.6180, and 1.7067. These roots can also be verified by plugging them back into the equation and seeing if they satisfy it.

Can x^3-x-1=0 be solved without using the cubic formula?

Yes, x^3-x-1=0 can also be solved using numerical methods such as the Newton's method or the bisection method. These methods involve repeatedly making guesses and refining them until a satisfactory solution is found.

What is the significance of the roots of x^3-x-1=0?

The roots of x^3-x-1=0 have several important mathematical and physical interpretations. They represent the points where the graph of the equation intersects the x-axis, and they also correspond to the critical points of the function. In applications, the roots can represent solutions to real-world problems, such as finding the volume of a cube or predicting the trajectory of a projectile.

Can x^3-x-1=0 be solved for complex solutions?

Yes, the cubic formula gives solutions for x^3-x-1=0 that involve complex numbers. These solutions can be expressed in the form a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. However, in most applications, only real solutions are considered, so the complex solutions may not be relevant.