1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know how you would go about solving:

a + b*x + x^(-y) + c*x^(-2y) + d*x^(1-2y)=0

solving for x?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2
    can you give more information, on whad do a, b, c, d, x and y represent. Are some of them variables,functions, series, or merely constants?
    maybe this information would be helpful to me, and to others also who have more expertise.

4. Mar 26, 2007 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Sure. It's real easy.

a = -b*x - x^(-y) - c*x^(-2y) - d*x^(1-2y)

If that's not the answer you were expecting then how about specifying which variable you want to solve for.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  5. Mar 26, 2007 #4
    I think he did.

From OP

6. Mar 26, 2007 #5
    i guess natski already stated that he wants to solve for x.

7. Mar 26, 2007 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Whoops, that will teach me to read all of the post and not skip the last line.

Sorry, that'ss a transcendental equation in x, so there will be no closed form solution.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  8. Mar 26, 2007 #7
    ej uart how do u determine wheather it is transcendental equation in x?

9. Mar 26, 2007 #8

uart

Science Advisor

Oh yeah it's not transcendental in x. If y is an integer it's a polynomial in x.

10. Mar 26, 2007 #9
    Um well y is a constant but a,b,c,d are functions of say z. So I want x=function of z or a function of a,b,c,d in this case. I tried to solve numerically for lots of different values of z, plot it and then fit a function to the plot. This worked except for my answer didn't agree with what it should. So I was hoping for a neater algebraic solution.

11. Mar 27, 2007 #10

uart

Science Advisor

Well there might be some partiucular values of "y" for which it can work, but in general I don't think it's going to be possible.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook