How to maintain speed and momentum while spinning on a skateboard?

In summary, Jeff provides a summary of skateboarding and skating techniques. He says that the best way to learn is to emulate figure skaters. He lists a few resources, including a video of a nose spin.
cracker
Hey I'm a skateboarder and been skaten for a while and I have recently been trying to spin as many times. So what do I have to do to keep my speed and momentome?

Also is there a rule for momentome that applies to everything?

By the way my I'm in Physics but my teacher is a crazy old black lady and all she does is give us homework and then the next class we spend a whole 90 minutes doing it and its only like 10 questions.

So does anybody know of any websites that tell you all of the propertive and equations and stuff that apply to Physics because I'm relly interested in who all this stuff works.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're already on the best site that you can find for this kind of stuff. In this case, what you need is angular momentum. The best example is that of a figure skater going into a spin. With the arms spread, the rotation is fairly slow. Drawing the arms into the body increases the rate of spin in order to conserve angular momentum. The same thing applies to a star as it contracts to neutron star or black hole status. Although I don't know the specific mechanics of boarding (the only time that I tried to even stand up on one, I kept losing my balance), my suggestion would be to emulate the figure skater. Go into your spin in a crouched, wide stance. As you start to slow down, gradually straighten your body up and pull in your arms.

Last edited:
I was never able to spin around on a skateboard more than about 2 1/2 times, as I was losing a lot of energy spinning around in small circles, never really getting "centered" (my center of mass) over the rear wheels of the skateboard, which created drag from the cornering forces from turning in small circles. I knew where I needed to end up, but never figured out the body motion to get there. In spite of a few tries, I never figured out how to spin on one foot ice-skating either (again a "centering" issue).

The guys who can spin almost as well as a figure skater mangage to end up with an extremely small or zero effective radius while spinning on the skateboard. Some spin almost like standing still and just spinning with one rear wheel moving forwards and the other rear wheel moving backwards.

Crouching doesn't help. Starting with your arms outwards and pulling them in does. If you want to spin like one of the hot shot free style guys, you stand on just one foot, centering your weight over the rear wheels, and use the other leg just like a figure skater. This is difficult to do though, although roller skaters essentially do the same thing when they spin, standing on just one foot, and two wheels, although they are usually toe down instead of heel down.

Videos, (will update as I find them):

Conventional two foot style, only 6 360's (world record is 163 by Russ Howell, (an old timer like me but he kept at it while I quit while still in college, looking for a video.):

http://blip.tv/file/68792

This one is two footed, but much better, notice how little movement there is of the center of mass, occasionally there's some travel, but most of the time the rider remains "centered".

[MEDIA=youtube]WHmwutCWGAo[/MEDIA][/URL][/b]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post, Jeff. The reason that I suggest the crouch, and I might very well be mistaken, is that the knees and posterior are protruding as well as the arms, so there's more rotating mass to be brought to centre. Again, though, I know almost nothing of boarding.

Here's another video, but of a nose spin. You need quicktime 7.x to view this one:

http://sk8kings.com/new/video/RichyCarrasco360NoseSpin.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I spin on a skateboard?

To spin on a skateboard, you will need to have good balance and control of your board. Start by standing on your skateboard with your feet shoulder width apart and your front foot slightly turned towards the nose of the board. Then, use your back foot to push off and gain some speed. As you approach the spot where you want to spin, use your front foot to turn the board in the direction you want to spin. As the board begins to turn, use your arms and shoulders to initiate the spin. Keep your weight centered over the board and use your feet to guide the direction of the spin. Practice and patience will help you perfect your spin.

2. What are the different types of spins I can do on a skateboard?

There are several different types of spins you can do on a skateboard, including the kick turn, the frontside 180, the backside 180, the pop shove-it, and the varial kickflip. Each spin requires a different technique and level of skill, so it's important to start with the basics and work your way up to more advanced spins.

3. How can I improve my balance for spinning on a skateboard?

Improving your balance is crucial for mastering spins on a skateboard. To improve your balance, practice standing on your skateboard with your feet in different positions and try to maintain your balance for as long as possible. You can also try doing exercises that target your core and leg muscles, such as squats and lunges, to help improve your stability on the board.

4. Is it important to have a specific foot placement when spinning on a skateboard?

Yes, foot placement is important when spinning on a skateboard. Your front foot should be slightly turned towards the nose of the board, while your back foot should be in the center of the tail. This will give you the most control and stability while spinning. However, everyone's stance and foot placement may vary, so it's important to find what works best for you.

5. How long does it take to learn how to spin on a skateboard?

Learning how to spin on a skateboard can take some time and practice. Some people may pick it up quickly while others may take longer. It's important to be patient and keep practicing, as it can take several weeks or even months to master a spin. Remember to have fun and enjoy the learning process!