Exploring Time and Dark Matter: A Non-Scientist's Guide to Proving an Idea

• Thread starter In-Finite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of pursuing a scientific concept related to time and dark matter without a STEM degree. It also touches on the importance of having an open mind and understanding current theories and research in the field. The conversation also explores the possibility of approaching university professors for guidance and the likelihood of success in doing so. Ultimately, it is emphasized that in order to propose a new theory, one must first have a thorough understanding of the subject matter and be willing to put in a significant amount of time and effort.
In-Finite
If I have an idea I'd like to pursue but I don't have a STEM degree, where do I begin? It's an idea about time and dark matter.

I've been thinking about writing it out as a popular science article but I'd rather get a little bit of data behind it first so I don't look like such an armchair expert.

Are university professors open to non-students approaching them about this kind of thing? My gut says that's not the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
In-Finite said:
If I have an idea I'd like to pursue but I don't have a STEM degree, where do I begin? It's an idea about time and dark matter.

I've been thinking about writing it out as a popular science article but I'd rather get a little bit of data behind it first so I don't look like such an armchair expert.

Are university professors open to non-students approaching them about this kind of thing? My gut says that's not the case.
The chances that in 2020 without any experience in the field you will produce original work that has some validity is close to zero.

In any case, the first thing you'd have to do is learn the subject to see whether your ideas make any sense. Have you studied academic papers on galaxy dynamics to know what the current theories on dark matter are?

Likes russ_watters, vela and BillTre
I appreciate the vote of confidence but close to zero is not zero and my idea doesn't seem to have any current proponents so I think I'll still put in a little leg work to see.

In-Finite said:
I appreciate the vote of confidence but close to zero is not zero and my idea doesn't seem to have any current proponents so I think I'll still put in a little leg work to see.
That should be a "lot of leg work". Like 10 years full-time leg work! :wink:

In-Finite said:
Close to zero was the polite version of impossible.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
In-Finite said:
You begin by learning about what we already do know about these subjects. It's important for you to do so with an open mind. You can't reject ideas and data simply because they conflict with your pet theory. Indeed, if your idea conflicts with what is already well established, as is likely the case, you need to go back to the drawing board.

No, they're not. You're not the only one who has an idea, and probably not the only one who thought of your particular idea. And the vast majority of these ideas are easily shown to be wrong. Professors simply don't have the time to explain to each person why their idea is wrong, especially since many of these people won't listen anyway.

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters, PeroK and 2 others
In-Finite said:
It's an idea about time and dark matter.
One would have to read up on physics (including special and general relativity), and focus on astrophysics and cosmology (with additional focus on dark energy and dark matter), to ensure one correctly understand the concepts one is attempting to use regarding one's personal theory.

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters, mcastillo356 and 2 others
In-Finite said:

Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Here is an Insights article that may be of help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/wont-look-new-theory/

Also, if you have any community colleges near you, you could consider taking some intro calculus and physics classes -- that would be a good step toward being able to understand the issues involved in your ideas. Best of luck.

Likes BillTre and vela
In-Finite said:
I appreciate the vote of confidence but close to zero is not zero...
Hmm... The odds of winning the lottery are close to zero. Is it worth putting ten thousand hours into an effort that has those odds?

How about if your effort has a million times worse odds of succeeding than winning the lottery? (which is more realistic).
...and my idea doesn't seem to have any current proponents so I think I'll still put in a little leg work to see.
Really? What textbooks and journals have you read? The fact that you didn't respond to @PeroK's suggestion of the first thing you should do makes me suspicious that you haven't done it.

In-Finite said:

It depends on them, really, and what you are asking. I have about a 10% success rate with unsolicited emails with a specific question on their area of expertise.

Note that I'm not flagging an idea beyond the current understanding or pet theory, my inquiries are mostly energy / climate change related and often refer to one of their published papers.

In-Finite said:
so I don't look like such an armchair expert.

The good news is you don't. The bad news is that you're not any kind of expert, armchair or otherwise. If you said, "I have a great new idea for surgery, let me at a couple patients with a set of steak knives", what do you think the reaction would be?

Before telling the experts that they have it all wrong or at least missed something, don't you think it behooves you to learn exactly what the experts know?

Likes russ_watters, BillTre and Astronuc
Vanadium 50 said:
"I have a great new idea for surgery, let me at a couple patients with a set of steak knives"
I had another aphorism in mind. "I will lead the Patriots to the Superbowl next season as their new QB." If I'd say something like this I would earn loud laughter and would be called out a troll. And everybody would agree, nobody would defend me. Now here is my conclusion: that would actually be easier to achieve than to find a robust theory of DM.

Likes russ_watters, BillTre and Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
If I'd say something like this I would earn loud laughter and would be called out a troll.

Not as loud as if you said the Bengals. :cool:

• Haha
Likes BillTre, fresh_42 and Astronuc
Even theories from fully qualified experts can take decades to reach acceptance. By the time continental drift was accepted the actual continents had detectably moved.

Likes Astronuc, fresh_42 and PeroK

1. What is the first step in proving an idea?

The first step in proving an idea is to clearly define the idea and identify the problem or question it aims to address. This will help you create a clear hypothesis and develop a plan for testing it.

2. How do I research and gather evidence to support my idea?

Research is a crucial part of proving an idea. Start by conducting a thorough literature review to see what has already been studied in your field. Then, design experiments or studies to gather data and evidence to support your hypothesis.

3. What methods can I use to test my idea?

The methods you use to test your idea will depend on the nature of your idea and the type of evidence you need to gather. Some common methods include experiments, surveys, and interviews. You may also need to use statistical analysis to interpret your data.

4. What is the importance of data analysis in proving an idea?

Data analysis is essential in proving an idea because it allows you to objectively evaluate the evidence you have gathered. By analyzing your data, you can determine if it supports your hypothesis or if further research is needed. It also helps you draw conclusions and make connections between your idea and the evidence.

5. How do I present my findings and conclusions?

It is important to clearly and accurately present your findings and conclusions to others. This can be done through written reports, presentations, or publications. It is important to use clear and concise language, and to support your claims with evidence from your research. It is also important to acknowledge any limitations or potential implications of your findings.