1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to start?

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone, I am in 7th grade right now and I started learning physics in my school. I've become really interested in it and I have only one lesson in a week so I want to start learning it by myself.. So how should I start? Which books and online courses would you recommend ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2
    What is your level of math?

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3
    In trimesters I get only 10.

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4
    My recommendation is that you go to khanacademy.org and get your math level up, and then start learning some physics from there.
    I'm not sure on "proper" books you should get yet, since you're in 7th grade, because most physics books, that I've seen, rely on math.

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    I strongly recommend Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt. It hardly uses any math.

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hewitt's book is written for people about four more years along than the OP.

8. Apr 5, 2015 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think he means, what topics in math have you studied: algebra? trigonometry? calculus? or what?

9. Apr 6, 2015 #8
    Yeah, you're right.
    I shouldn't have recommended that book.
    I recommended it because I think that an intelligent student in middle school should be able to understand Hewitt's textbook.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  10. Apr 6, 2015 #9
    Please, don't worry about my math skills. If I am not going to understand something I will just ask my math teacher about it or check it on internet..And I don't care if that textbook will be a bit too complicated for me, don't worry about that.

11. Apr 6, 2015 #10
    What does this mean ?

12. Apr 6, 2015 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You should care that a textbook will be too complicated for you. Just "asking your math teacher" or "checking on the internet" does not really suffice for more complicated math like calculus.

13. Apr 6, 2015 #12
    So what should I do ?

14. Apr 6, 2015 #13

donpacino

Gold Member

If you don't have a good grasp on algebra and trigonometry, you will not be able to understand the mathematics behind the most basic physics textbooks. There are textbooks and courses out there that teach physics without advanced math such as calculus that use olny algebra and trig. These textbooks will make approximations and hand waving to "get rid of the calculus" which can be good for beginners.

so step 1.
    learn algebra and trig!

I agree with the khan academy statement!!

15. Apr 6, 2015 #14
    Thanks for the answers everyone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook