Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to step down DC voltage

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    1)i need to step down the DC voltage 48v 75amp to 24 v 75amp.
    for above any ready made convertor is available in market?
    2)i have a dc source 30Vdc 10amp, i need to charge a battery using that, i looking for charging circuit please help.

rajesh.p

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

do some googling on DC-DC buck convertors, you may well find some commercial systems with the voltage and current capabilities you require

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    Rajesh,
    Can you share with me the nature of your source. Perhaps I know of something to simplify this problem.

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4
    i have bench type dc Voltage source, it have duel channel (+ve) and (-ve), and also available make adjustable of load amp,
    it is i am using for trouble shooting of electronics.

6. Nov 4, 2014 #5
    75A is not a trivial amount of current... also nearly 2KW overall, so 2-3% losses 40W heat... and then how clean do you need the 24V to be? I doubt you will find an economical converter that specific. For a basic converter not too difficult of a build for a small uC ( PIC) and a 100A Mosfet ( module?)
    Similar for the battery charger - for batteries the current regulation needs to match the battery chemistry. There are controller ships for most types, but again probably not an existing system ( perhaps a marine system made for 36V to 12V if LA Battery( assuming) )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook