How to stop a fast moving electron

• Thread starter JamesJames
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the stopping distance for a 500 GeV electron in iron, as well as the calculation of the fraction of a 100 GeV photon beam transmitted through a 2cm thick lead absorber. The formula used for the stopping distance takes into account the initial energy and the rest energy of the electron. The formula for the fraction of the transmitted beam uses the intensity of the incoming and outgoing beams, with the ratio being I(d)/I0. The conversation also discusses the use of energy in these calculations and clarifies that the question is asking for the ratio of intensities, not the fraction of absorbed intensity.
JamesJames
How much iron is required to stop a 500 GeV electron if it only deposits energy via ionization?

Is the following approach correct?

E = E0*e(-x/x0)

x0 = 170*A*density/Z^2

x = ? where x is the stopping distance

E0 = 500 GeV

E = 0.511 MeV

Or should E and E0 be flipped?
:confused:
James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I say E0 is what is left after it is stopped and comes to rest..this will be the rest energy. Then E must be the initial energy.

Am I correct?

James

Yes,but the question is unclear...Do they mean the mass of the Iron...?How are u going to get that...?

Daniel.

How much material...which is x

I have one more

What fraction of a 100 GeV photon beam will be transmitted through a 2cm thick lead absorber?

I used

I = I0*exp(-mu*x)

where mu = density of lead * (0.04 cm^2/gm)

The fraction absorbed is 1- (I/I0)

First of all is the fraction correct or should it be just I/I0. Secondly, why do I not have to use the energy when the book (Ferbel) says that mu should typically depend on the enregy.

James

"x" is the length of the path the electron takes inside the iron.

Daniel.

Anyway,logrithmate & see whether u get something reasonable.

For the electron question I got 13.5 cm.

It's okay.It looks good.The energy is very high.

Daniel.

Any suggestions about the photon question I posted in this thread. I' ll just repeat it here again

What fraction of a 100 GeV photon beam will be transmitted through a 2cm thick lead absorber?

I used

I = I0*exp(-mu*x)

where mu = density of lead * (0.04 cm^2/gm)

The fraction absorbed is 1- (I/I0)

First of all is the fraction correct or should it be just I/I0. Secondly, why do I not have to use the energy when the book (Ferbel) says that mu should typically depend on the enregy.

What do you mean you don't get to use the energy...?You do.That I_{0} is proportinal to the enregy of the incoming photons...

Daniel.

No, I am not using the 100 GeV, so the question could relate to any photon regardless of its energy right?

James

Wy aren't u using that value...?Isn't intesity:energy in unit time...?

Daniel.

Ok, so the energy has been taken into account when calculating the intensity. For the question, I am just looking for the ratio of I / I_0 so I mean in evaluating the exopnential, I am not using the energy.

Yes,okay.Indeed,"what fraction of a beam" requires only the ratio of the 2 intensities...

Daniel.

Also, is the required fraction I/I_0 or 1 - (I/I_0) ? Why?

I_{0} is the initial intensity.I(x) is the value of the intensity in the point "x".For the endpoint of the trajectory through the lead,it's the intensity of the ray which gets out.So the ratio is just I(d)/I_{0}...

Daniel.

1. How does an electron move?

An electron moves due to its charge and the presence of an electric field. When a force is applied to an electron, it accelerates and moves in the direction of the force.

2. Why is it important to stop a fast moving electron?

Fast moving electrons can cause damage to materials and sensitive electronic equipment. Stopping them can prevent potential harm and maintain the stability of a system.

3. What methods can be used to stop a fast moving electron?

Some methods include using a magnetic field to deflect the electron's path, using a material with high electron scattering properties, or colliding the electron with another particle to slow it down.

4. Can light be used to stop a fast moving electron?

No, light cannot directly stop a fast moving electron. However, it can be used to create an electric field that can then be used to stop the electron.

5. How can the speed of an electron be measured?

The speed of an electron can be measured using various techniques such as time-of-flight measurements, electron diffraction, or by measuring the deflection of the electron in a magnetic field.