How to stop leak of water tank while steel rod enters and exits?

In summary, the speaker wants to create a setup using a tank of water and a steel rod with a ball on one end. The rod will cross the tank from center to prevent water from leaking, with the rod entering from the right and exiting from the left. The speaker has provided an image for reference and asks for advice on how to make this possible. They also specify that the rod should only enter from the side, not the top.
Burhan
Hi:

I have a tank of water (of plastic) of about 2 x 4 feet.

I want a steal rod (with a ball of 5 inch at end of rod) to be cross that water tank from center, but water should not leak from tank (rod will enter from right and exit from left of tank)

You can get more idea from image that i have tried to create.

http://s14.postimage.org/4ddkbnirl/engin.jpg

Please see it and tell me how it is possible.

Plus: ofcourse water tank will have some cutting for rod to enter and exit.
And my system only needs rod to enter from a side (not top)

Engineering news on Phys.org
More details please. Why must it do what you want it to do?

1. How can I prevent water from leaking out while inserting a steel rod into a water tank?

The best way to prevent water from leaking out while inserting a steel rod into a water tank is to ensure that the rod is properly sealed and the tank is securely closed. You can also use a rubber gasket or sealant around the opening where the rod will be inserted to create a tight seal.

2. What should I do if water is still leaking out after I have inserted the steel rod?

If you notice water leaking out after you have inserted the steel rod, you should check to make sure the rod is properly sealed and that the tank is securely closed. If the leak persists, you may need to replace the gasket or sealant around the rod opening or tighten the tank lid.

3. Is it possible to prevent water from leaking out while removing the steel rod from the tank?

Yes, it is possible to prevent water from leaking out while removing the steel rod from the tank. You can use the same methods as when inserting the rod, such as ensuring a tight seal and using a gasket or sealant. Additionally, you can try to remove the rod slowly and at an angle to minimize disruption to the water inside the tank.

4. Can I use any type of sealant or gasket to prevent water leakage?

It is important to use a sealant or gasket that is specifically designed for use with water tanks. These products are made to withstand water pressure and are safe for use with drinking water. Using a different type of sealant or gasket may not be effective and could potentially contaminate the water in the tank.

5. How often should I check and replace the sealant or gasket around the steel rod opening?

The frequency of checking and replacing the sealant or gasket will depend on the type of product used and the condition of the tank. It is recommended to inspect the sealant or gasket periodically, especially if you notice any leaks or damage. If the sealant or gasket appears worn or damaged, it should be replaced immediately to prevent water leakage.