Hi, How can I stop these annoying pop-ups on my new laptop?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of popups on a new laptop. The suggested solution is to look for notifications and alerts and use a Norton Power Eraser to get rid of malware. The popups may be caused by a tracking software that was installed to track a package, but has now been received and may need to be deleted. The conversation ends with the mention of downloading Malwarebyte and changing settings to stop the popups altogether.
yungman
TL;DR Summary
Need to stop the pop up on my new computer.
Hi

Just got a new laptop, all of a sudden, I keep getting popups on the lower right of the screen, like McAfee, Chrome something, back doctor etal. I went and uninstalled McAfee that came with the laptop. I have Norton, I can't find any help on popups. What should I do?
Popup.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't what those popups look like, but the ones I get have on option to turn them off.

I can see the address for mypackagetracker.com in that screen shot - this is malware that has somehow got through Norton. Are you sure Norton is installed correctly and working? Use Norton Power Eraser to get rid of it.

Likes jedishrfu
pbuk said:
I can see the address for mypackagetracker.com in that screen shot - this is malware that has somehow got through Norton. Are you sure Norton is installed correctly and working? Use Norton Power Eraser to get rid of it.
I think I was trying to track a package that lead to this. The site supposed to led me to track the package. The package had arrived already. How can I get rid of it?

Thanks

You better follow What @pbuk said and make sure your virus malware defense is up to date and working.

jedishrfu said:
You better follow What @pbuk said and make sure your virus malware defense is up to date and working.
Yeh, I just ran Norton Power Eraser, nothing wrong. It's supposed to download the latest version and scan the computer. What else can I do?

As I said, it's a tracking software for one of the furniture item that I needed to track last week, I knew it was installed at the time. But now I already received the item, do I have to worry about deleting it?

Verify that it’s malware then delete. In the past, there’s been software that was somewhat useful but was a pain to remove and ultimately deemed malware because of it.

Likes yungman

What are pop-ups on a laptop?

Pop-ups on a laptop are small windows that appear on your screen while you are browsing the internet, often displaying advertisements or notifications.

Why are pop-ups annoying?

Pop-ups can be annoying because they can interrupt your browsing experience and make it difficult to navigate the webpage. They can also slow down your computer and potentially contain harmful links or viruses.

How do I stop pop-ups on my laptop?

To stop pop-ups on your laptop, you can adjust your browser settings to block pop-ups or install a pop-up blocker extension. You can also be cautious about the websites you visit and avoid clicking on suspicious links.

What are the benefits of stopping pop-ups on my laptop?

Stopping pop-ups on your laptop can improve your browsing experience by reducing interruptions and distractions. It can also protect your computer from potential viruses and scams.

Are there any downsides to stopping pop-ups on my laptop?

One downside of stopping pop-ups on your laptop is that you may miss out on important notifications or updates from legitimate websites. Some websites also require pop-ups to function properly, so blocking all pop-ups may affect their functionality.