Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to stop worrying (cute humor)

1. Feb 10, 2005 #1
    I have just discovered how to stop worrying!! Here it goes (Unicode):

Definition.
    Let H be the set of all humans, A the set of all actions, and W ⊂A be the set of all worries. A person p ∈ H is said to be worrying if and only if p's set of choices C = {f(p)} (where f(p) ∈ A) either has more than one elements or has precisely one element c ∈ W.​
    Theorem.
    The only way to stop worrying is to decide to do so.​
    Proof.
    If a person p ∈ H makes a decision not to worry, which we denote as n ∉ W, rather than to worry, which we denote as w, then C = {f(p)} = {n} which has only one element. If p decides to worry, p is certainly worrying since C = {w} where w ∈ W. Now, if p does not decide whether to worry or not, p's set of choices has at least two elements, namely C = {n, w, ...}. Therefore, the only way to stop worrying is to decide not to worry. ∎

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2005 #2
    "Don't worry...be happy", so said the wise and (for a while) ubiquitous fish-on-the-wall.

4. Feb 11, 2005 #3
    that "definition" makes me worry

5. Feb 11, 2005 #4
    that definition makes my head hurt lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?