Why do I get blanks during exams despite studying effectively?

• Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the individual had an exam in which they felt confident in their preparation beforehand. However, during the exam, they began to struggle with recalling information and ended up not performing as well as expected. Their method of studying involved rewriting their notes and repeatedly writing out questions or topics, but they still encountered blanks during the exam. They are seeking advice on how to overcome this issue.
bugatti79
Folks,

I had an exam this morning. I thought I was pretty confident with what I learned prior to the exam.

However, once the exam started and the questions I learned or thought I learned appeared, I started getting blanks. I couldn’t remember how to start the question, then I started heating up and sweating, not able to think clearly. So I ended up not doing as well as I expected.

My method of study is to re write my original notes because the original tends to be messy. I ensure I understand my re written notes.

Then a few days before the exam, I write out each question or topic 2 to 3 times until it gets hammered into my head. But, there is always a part of the question where I get a blank and therefore I end up having a 'peep' at my notes to see what the blank was. I always seems to end up getting stuck on the same blank and I kid myself that it won’t happen in the exam...

Anyone familiar with this? Any advice on how to overcome these persistent blanks?

One could argue if I truly understood the topic/question then I wouldn’t get a blank... :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down all the blanks and study them extra well??

1. How can I improve my study habits?

To improve your study habits, you can start by creating a schedule and setting aside dedicated time for studying. Take breaks regularly and find a quiet and comfortable place to study. Make sure to also eliminate distractions, such as turning off your phone or finding a quiet study space.

2. What are some effective study techniques?

Effective study techniques include breaking up studying into smaller chunks, using flashcards or mnemonic devices to help with memorization, and actively engaging with the material by taking notes or summarizing what you've learned. You can also try teaching the material to someone else, as this can help reinforce your own understanding.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying?

To stay motivated while studying, it can be helpful to set specific goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. You can also try mixing up your study routine by switching subjects or studying in a different location. Additionally, reminding yourself of the bigger picture and the reasons why you are studying can help keep you motivated.

4. What are the best ways to prepare for exams?

To prepare for exams effectively, make sure to review your notes and material regularly, and try to stay organized throughout the semester. Practice active learning techniques, such as practicing with past exams or creating your own study guide. It can also be helpful to get plenty of rest and eat well before the exam.

5. How can I balance studying with other responsibilities?

To balance studying with other responsibilities, it's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule and stick to it, and don't be afraid to say no to social events or activities if you need to focus on studying. It's also important to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.