Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to study effectively?

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    Folks,

I had an exam this morning. I thought I was pretty confident with what I learnt prior to the exam.

However, once the exam started and the questions I learnt or thought I learnt appeared, I started getting blanks. I couldn’t remember how to start the question, then I started heating up and sweating, not able to think clearly. So I ended up not doing as well as I expected.

My method of study is to re write my original notes because the original tends to be messy. I ensure I understand my re written notes.

Then a few days before the exam, I write out each question or topic 2 to 3 times until it gets hammered into my head. But, there is always a part of the question where I get a blank and therefore I end up having a 'peep' at my notes to see what the blank was. I always seems to end up getting stuck on the same blank and I kid myself that it won’t happen in the exam....

Anyone familiar with this? Any advice on how to overcome these persistent blanks?

One could argue if I truly understood the topic/question then I wouldn’t get a blank... :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Write down all the blanks and study them extra well??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook