Struggling with AP Exams? Learn how to study like a college student!

In summary, the student has failed five out of eleven AP classes and has never passed a 5 on any of the exams. He suggests slowing down and trying a different approach to passing the exams.
Ignis Radiis
Okay..SO I am senior in High School and I have so far taken 11 AP Classes and with this year I will have 18 AP Classes. My method obviously doesn't work because I have only passed 6 of the 11 and have NEVER gotten a 5. This year should be different. Please let me know an Awesome way to 5. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
18 AP classes? Eighteen? Do you realize that's half a college degree?

I would slow down.

Likes Amrator
I wasn't aware that that many AP classes existed. I would definitely lower your work load, as being able to better focus and pass your exams to actually get credit for them is better than taking tons of APs and only getting credit for a couple. Although at this point, considering you'll either have to or want to redo several of those, I would also consider cutting your losses and just keep taking them to look good on college apps, ie quantity over quality.

Guys's Y'all realize its too late for me "lower my work load"

Greg Bernhardt said:
Does 5 = A? Just to be clear, you have failed 5/11 classes?
It mean that I get away from taking a class

Vanadium 50 said:
18 AP classes? Eighteen? Do you realize that's half a college degree?

I would slow down.
kinda joining in as a sophomore

One of the difficulties some students have transitioning from high school to college is the different level of understanding required in college courses. Are you familiar with Bloom's[/PLAIN] Taxonomy? To succeed in high school, you only need to focus on the lower levels of learning. To succeed in college, however, you need to progress to higher levels of learning. Perhaps your approach to AP courses and tests are still geared to what you found worked in your other high school classes, and you're finding out that's not enough anymore.

You could check out a site like LSU's Center for Academic Success to find out about new learning strategies that can help you acquire a better understanding of the material.

http://cas.lsu.edu

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best way to prepare for AP Exams?

The best way to prepare for AP Exams is to start studying early and consistently. Make a study schedule and stick to it, review class notes and materials throughout the year, and practice with past AP Exam questions. It is also helpful to attend review sessions offered by teachers or study groups with classmates.

2. How many hours should I study for an AP Exam?

The amount of time needed to study for an AP Exam varies depending on the individual and the subject. Generally, it is recommended to study for 2-3 hours per day, starting at least a few weeks before the exam. However, some students may need more or less time depending on their familiarity with the subject and their study habits.

3. Is it better to study alone or in a group for AP Exams?

This depends on personal preference and what works best for each student. Some may find it more beneficial to study alone, while others may benefit from studying in a group and discussing material with peers. It is important to find a study method that works best for you.

4. How do I manage my time during the AP Exam?

During the AP Exam, it is important to manage your time wisely. Read all instructions carefully and allocate your time accordingly for each section or question. If you are unsure about a question, move on and come back to it later. It is also helpful to keep an eye on the time and pace yourself to ensure you have enough time to complete the exam.

5. Are there any specific study strategies for AP Exams?

Yes, there are many study strategies that can be helpful for AP Exams. Some effective strategies include creating flashcards, making outlines or study guides, and using mnemonic devices to remember information. It is also helpful to practice with past AP Exam questions and to review material frequently throughout the year.