1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to study for Real Analysis

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    I'm not sure how to study for the test since the midterms are open book and open notes. I've been going over the homework, but are there other ways of studying? I'm going over covering compactness, differentiation and integration for the next midterm. Any addition help/advice/problems to look over would be extremely helpful!

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2
    Ouch... that was the one course that kicked my rear in undergrad! That said... I did extra proof problems from the text (or even other texts!) in preparation for my tests. You might want to try that... going to the professor's office hours to look over these extra problems that you've done. I think my effort, and the fact that I was the only undergrad in the course, kept my grade a B!
  4. Nov 16, 2008 #3

Know the definitions and know what they mean. If the definitions are confusing, draw a picture. Play with the major theorems. Know their proofs and why the hypothesis are important. Change the hypothesis by removing assumptions (ie continuity, differentiability/integrability, compactness etc...) and provide counterexamples, and know how the proof uses each of these assumptions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?