How to Ace the TOEFL iBT: Tips and Resources for Brazilian Students"

• Thread starter Hobold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the Brazilian Mechanical Engineering student plans to study for the TOEFL iBT by doing practice tests and focusing on the questions asked.
Hobold
Hello.

I am a Brazilian Mechanical Engineering student and my country is currently sending quite a lot of students to USA Universities through a government program. One of the requirements is to do the TOEFL iBT and to have at least 79 points out of 120, so I would like to start studying ASAP, as I'm aiming for at least 100 points.

Have any of you done this test before? How did you study? Which books did you use? Is there a good webpage on the internet to study/do sample tests? I have ordered Kaplan's book, which is likely to arrive next week, but I wouldn't like to wait to start studying.

Any tips are welcome, thanks.

EDIT: I'll have to do intensive study, as my test is due February 3rd

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did the TOEFL iBT one year ago and found it to be quite easy. I only did the free sample test they give you for practice. 79 is also quite a low score I believe. 100 is very manageable if you can read, write and understand spoken English fine.

I really don't know how one would go about studying for this text other than doing practice tests. It's meant to assess your level in English so unless you can improve that level fast which is not easy there is not much to do other than really preparing for the type of questions they ask.

For me the hardest part was the speaking which I hadn't prepared for the least bit. The test conditions were extremelly stressful and its tipically the thing you don't practice in your everyday life. If you are used to reading english textbooks and watching american tv shows (without subtitles) you'll do fine in the other parts but unless you're used to having conversations in english it gets really hard to come up with a fluid answer to the speaking questions with only 15 seconds of preparation. Plus, when you get to that part every1 will start speaking at the same time which can be annoying.
I walked out of the test thinking I did awful on that part (and I really did) but I still got a 24/30 so I guess their standards are not that high.

Bom estudo e boa sorte.

Thanks! I don't really plan to learn much more English in such a short period, I want to familiarize with the test and focus on what's asked on TOEFL.

1. What is the TOEFL iBT?

The TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test) is an English proficiency exam that is widely accepted by universities and institutions around the world. It assesses the ability of non-native English speakers to understand and use English in an academic setting.

2. How can Brazilian students prepare for the TOEFL iBT?

Brazilian students can prepare for the TOEFL iBT by familiarizing themselves with the test format and content, practicing their English language skills, and using study resources such as practice tests and study guides. It is also beneficial to immerse oneself in English-speaking environments and practice with native English speakers.

3. What are some tips for acing the TOEFL iBT?

Some tips for acing the TOEFL iBT include practicing regularly, focusing on improving weaker areas, managing time effectively during the test, and reading and listening carefully to fully understand the questions and prompts. Additionally, it is important to stay calm and confident during the test.

4. Are there any specific resources that can help Brazilian students with the TOEFL iBT?

Yes, there are many resources available to help Brazilian students prepare for the TOEFL iBT. These include online study materials, practice tests, study guides, and language learning apps. It may also be helpful to take a TOEFL preparation course or work with a tutor.

5. How important is a high score on the TOEFL iBT for Brazilian students?

A high score on the TOEFL iBT is very important for Brazilian students who are planning to study in an English-speaking country. Many universities and institutions require a certain minimum score for admission, and a higher score can also improve chances of receiving scholarships or financial aid. Additionally, a high TOEFL score can demonstrate strong English language skills to potential employers.