How do people effectively study a new subject?

• Thread starter hariyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, when studying a new subject like "error control coding," it is important to create a study plan, break down the material into manageable chunks, practice and review regularly, seek help if needed, and reward yourself for your progress.
hariyo
I am just curious how people study completely new subject. For instance I want to self study "error control coding" and I pick up book "Error control coding fundamentals & application" by costello & Lin which is considered a fundamental book like griffiths book for physics. Is it people study sequentially each chapter from beginning to end and after reading each chapter do each problems in the exercise? If you got stuck in some problem for a long time after trying various method, what they do? Do, they consult other supplementary textbook for that particular chapter ...?

I know every one has their own style but it would be nice to share style/methods to get as much of materials as possible for that subject!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach a completely new subject is to create a study plan that outlines the main goals you want to achieve. Break down the material into manageable chunks and set yourself realistic deadlines for completing each section. Make sure to set aside time for practice and review, as this will help you to retain the knowledge and be able to apply it to solve real-world problems. If you get stuck on a particular problem, consult other sources such as online tutorials, supplementary textbooks, or ask experts in the field for advice. Finally, don’t forget to reward yourself when you have achieved your goals!

1. How do I approach studying a new subject?

When studying a new subject, it's important to start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and terminology. Read through any textbooks or materials provided by your teacher or professor to gain a general understanding of the subject. From there, you can break down the material into smaller chunks and create a study plan that works for you.

2. How can I make the most of my study time for a new subject?

To make the most of your study time, it's important to stay organized and focused. Use study tools like flashcards, notes, and practice quizzes to help you retain information. Additionally, take breaks and switch up your studying methods to prevent burnout and keep your mind engaged.

3. How do I retain information while studying a new subject?

Retaining information while studying a new subject can be challenging, but there are a few techniques you can use to improve your memory. Try summarizing and paraphrasing information in your own words, creating visual aids, or teaching the material to someone else. These methods can help you better understand and remember the information.

4. What should I do if I'm struggling with a new subject?

If you're struggling with a new subject, don't be afraid to ask for help. Reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification on confusing topics, or form study groups with classmates to work through difficult material together. It's also important to take care of your mental and physical health, as stress and fatigue can make it harder to learn and retain information.

5. How can I apply what I've learned in a new subject to real life?

To apply what you've learned in a new subject to real life, try to make connections between the material and your own experiences or interests. You can also try to find real-world examples or case studies related to the subject, or seek out opportunities for hands-on learning through internships or volunteering. Applying what you've learned can not only help you better understand the subject, but also make it more interesting and relevant to you.