Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to study Physics and Calculus (looking for exercises)

1. Aug 29, 2004 #1

I am a high school student, and I am planning to go to IPhO next year, so I am trying to study a little hard and deep Physics and Maths (Calculus, also some other parts that are necessary). However, I am reading a Feynman textbook, so I haven't exercises to do. And the other books that I found exercises or problems they are too elementary and didn't use great concepts or mathmatics.
    So I want a litle help with these. With anuone can sugest some things to do I will be very grateful.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

I think all the old IPho problems are online. Go through them. Also check out the BAUPC problems:

This is sort of an equivalent for undergrad (not nearly so large or well-organized though). Good luck.
  4. Aug 29, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not living in the U.S., I don't know how much you learn in high school and I don't know what IPhO is either but my advice is that you find out what books you'll be using next year at IPhO and study from those! That's what I do.
  5. Aug 30, 2004 #4
    Oh thank you both guys.

About my High School, I learn a few Physics concepts, but with a useless maths so the use of those concepts are very limited by these, so I am studying Calculus by myself too expand those parts. And I am just getting some difficult to find exercise for these. Either in university books where they use calculus to teach physics there are a few exercise with actualy use a more complicated maths. So the point for me is more to put those two things together.
    And about that link from Boston, it´s very good.
    Thank you again.
  6. Aug 30, 2004 #5

Gold Member

well first of all.. you need to familiarize yourself with some basic math:

Real Analysis by Stoll:

Partial Diff Eq of Math. Physics and Int Eqs:

Linear Algebra and its Applications:

Just some basic mathematics.

Now as far as Physics goes:

Those are must have Physics books.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?