How to Ace College Finals: Strategies for Understanding Your Subjects

In summary, there are various strategies for studying and understanding a subject for a test. These include rewriting notes, doing practice problems, studying in groups, and asking questions for clarification. It is important to have a strong understanding rather than just memorizing information. Finding what works best for you and seeking help when needed can lead to success in studying and achieving good grades.
Sjm757
I've been a pretty good student all my life, been in honors classes, AP classes and what not, gotten A's and B's without putting much effort in. I'd read over something once and remember enough of it to get by, but now that I'm in college I'm starting to realize it isn't quite enough anymore. So I have finals in a couple weeks and I'm stuck. I don't know how to study. Everything I've ever read about studying basically ends up meaning but not saying memorization. I guess I want to know, how do I understand a subject enough for a test?

Physics news on Phys.org
I find that having a different mindset helps. Don't study for the test: study until you understand the material.

If you take notes, rewrite them; read the text and take notes. Be sure to write in such a way that you can understand. You also need to do practice problems. Be able to explain each step of your problem solving. Try studying with others to obtain different perspectives.

What is your major??

It might help you to study in groups and discuss the material together. A lot of people find that helpful.

Studying for something requires a lot of time. You need to do a lot of exercises.

If you have a formula, try not to memorize it, but try to memorize it through using it a lot. For example, don't memorize the substitution formula for integrals, but use it a lot in your exercises so that you know it eventually and it becomes second nature.

I always learned better by writing. I would read the theory and then rewrite the chapter. It helped me a lot. You got to see what works for you.

Do lots of problems when you get them right know why they are right. Don't just memorize how to do a certain problem.

do all the problems with solutions that you can get your hands on. also, just reading a lot of problems and thinking in your head how you would solve them helps too.

Also if you need to ask, don't be afraid to ask. You are not stupid if you ask a question that needs an answer.

Before you ask a question though I recommend you take the initiative to first do what you can to find an answer and if you can't get an answer then ask a question. Make questions specific as possible and clarify exactly what you don't know by giving reference to what you do know and don't understand.

If the lecturer/professor doesn't tell you what is important and what (and more importantly how you will be assessed) then ask them.

Don't ask them the exercises you need to do: ask them the level of understanding that is sufficient for getting a specific grade. If they don't answer that then find someone who will or go to the dean. I'm sure though, that any professor that hears that question should be more delighted though as opposed to put off.

Once you know the level of understanding you need in detail, you can do whatever exercises and problems to get it and you will be able to ultimately direct your own learning which is the most important thing (and also be able to help others if you are in a group setting).

Good luck!

I think the idea is that if you understand something well enough, you won't need to memorize it. If you've worked with something long enough, it starts becoming natural and you essentially memorize it without realizing that's what you're doing. Practice problems are always a good strategy, as are flashcards, having a study buddy, and going to your professor/TA with questions if you don't understand.

What are some effective study strategies for college finals?

1. Start studying early: Don't wait until the last minute to start studying. Begin reviewing material at least a week before your final exams.2. Create a study schedule: Make a plan for when and how long you will study each subject. This will help you stay organized and focused.3. Review notes and materials: Go over your class notes, handouts, and any other materials provided by your professor. This will refresh your memory and help you identify any areas you need to focus on.4. Use active learning techniques: Instead of passively reading your notes, engage in active learning techniques such as summarizing, creating flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else.5. Take breaks and get enough rest: It's important to take breaks while studying and get enough rest. Your brain needs time to process and retain the information you are studying.

How can I manage my time effectively during finals week?

1. Prioritize: Make a list of all the tasks you need to complete and prioritize them based on importance and due dates.2. Use a planner: Write down all your assignments, exams, and other important dates in a planner. This will help you stay organized and on track.3. Avoid distractions: Find a quiet and distraction-free study space. Turn off your phone and avoid social media while studying.4. Break up your study sessions: Instead of studying for long periods of time, break up your study sessions into smaller chunks with breaks in between.5. Don't procrastinate: Procrastination can lead to added stress and anxiety. Be proactive and start studying early.

How can I effectively prepare for essay-based exams?

1. Understand the question: Make sure you understand what the question is asking before you start writing. If you're not sure, ask your professor for clarification.2. Plan your answer: Spend a few minutes brainstorming and outlining your answer before you start writing. This will help you organize your thoughts and ensure you cover all the necessary points.3. Use evidence: Use specific examples or evidence from your notes or readings to support your arguments.4. Edit and proofread: Take the time to edit and proofread your essay for grammar and spelling errors. This will improve the overall quality of your answer.5. Practice writing essays: The more you practice writing essays, the better you will become at it. Ask your professor for practice questions or do practice essays on your own.

What are some tips for staying organized during finals week?

1. Keep a to-do list: Write down all your assignments, exams, and other tasks in a to-do list. This will help you stay organized and ensure you don't forget anything.2. Use a calendar: Use a calendar to keep track of important dates and deadlines. You can also color code different subjects or tasks for easier organization.3. Set reminders: Use your phone or a planner to set reminders for important due dates or exams. This will help you stay on top of your tasks.4. Keep your study space clean: A cluttered study space can lead to a cluttered mind. Keep your desk and study area clean and organized to help you focus better.5. Take breaks: Don't forget to take breaks and give yourself time to relax and recharge. This will help you stay productive and avoid burnout.

How can I manage my stress during finals week?

1. Practice self-care: Make sure you take care of yourself during finals week. This can include getting enough sleep, eating well, and taking breaks to do activities you enjoy.2. Stay positive: Instead of focusing on the stress and pressure of finals, try to stay positive and remind yourself of your capabilities.3. Talk to someone: If you're feeling overwhelmed, talk to a friend, family member, or counselor about your stress. Sometimes just voicing your concerns can help relieve some of the pressure.4. Take deep breaths: When you start feeling anxious or stressed, take a few deep breaths to help calm your mind and body.5. Stay organized: Staying organized can help reduce stress and make you feel more in control. Use study schedules and to-do lists to help you stay on track and manage your workload.