1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to systematically solve an underdetermined matrix

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    Hello!

I am trying to solve The Schrodinger Equation(s) for a finite walled double potential barrier, and in order to find the transmission coefficient I need to find the coefficients of the Wave Equations as ratios of one another (since this is all we can do..since it is underdetermined). I have nine equations and eight unknowns, all set up in a massive 9x8 matrix. Since all the terms in the matrix are constants, it seems like this would be straightforward...however it is quite hellish.

So, my question: Is there a program out there that can solve an underdetermined matrix of coefficients in terms of ratios of one another? I'm thinking MatLab could probably do it, however I haven't used that program in ages so I wouldn't know where to begin. Thanks!

IHateMayonnaise

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?