1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to take a complex conjugate of a 5*5 matrices?

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    I'm doing a take home final and wanted reassurance that i'm doing the problem right. the question involves taking <Sz>of |psi>. I know it's
    <psi|Sz|psi>. I've never done it for a spin 2 particle which is a 5*5 matrix.Do i just take the complex conjugate of the values without switching their position within the matrices.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2
    Ok, I don't really know what your notation means, but for any matrix, yeah, you just replace each element with its complex conjugate.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"<psi|Sz|psi>" is not a 5*5 matrix,is just a number=matrix 1*1.If you mean

[tex] \langle\psi_{i}|\hat{S}_{z}|\psi_{j}\rangle \ , \ i,j=\overline{1,5} [/tex]

,then yes,it's a complex matrix;unless [itex] |\psi_{i}\rangle [/itex] are eigenvectors of the selfadjoint operator [itex] \hat{S}_{z} [/itex],the entries in the matrix are complex #-s with nonzero imaginary part.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?