How to Take the sum of moments

In summary, the question is about finding the sum of moments in a static equilibrium exercise involving a diagram with a boom and a point P. The asker is having trouble with the concept and is seeking help. They are also unsure about the weight of the boom and whether it is relevant to the calculation. Some reasonable assumptions can be made in order to find the solution, such as the boom being light compared to the wrecking ball and the centre of mass being at the midpoint.
k31453
How to Take the sum of moments !

Homework Statement

Hi i am doing static equilibrium exercises in textbook.

Homework Equations

But I don't know how to find sum of moments at P when its come to angle.
This is a drawing
Untitled.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have No idea ! I was trying to get my head around But still can't Do it !

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the diagram attached to the OP doesn't contain enough information anyway. Is there problem text which accompanies the diagram which you haven't supplied? Or are you to assume that the weight of the boom is located at half its length from point P?

A couple of reasonable assumptions seem in order here.

To find the moment that a force contributes, you multiply the force by the perpendicular distance to the line of action of that force. So you have the opportunity to demonstrate your skill with trigonometry here. :wink:

Last edited:
What Nascent said.

Making reasonable assumptions it seems possible to calculate T. For example T appears to be connected roughly half way up the boom. There is enough info to calculate the perpendicular distances that Nascent refers to. I would assume the boom is very light weight compared to the wrecking ball.

Yes, the centre of mass at mid weight and pivot at p.

Are you still stuck?

1. How do you calculate the sum of moments?

The sum of moments is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point, or axis of rotation. This is known as the moment arm. The sum of all these individual moments is then added together to determine the total sum of moments.

2. What is the equation for sum of moments?

The equation for sum of moments is ΣM = F x d, where ΣM is the sum of moments, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the pivot point.

3. How do you determine the direction of the sum of moments?

The direction of the sum of moments is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of the moment arm. If the force and the moment arm are in the same direction, the moment is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the moment is negative.

4. Can you have a negative sum of moments?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative sum of moments. This occurs when the force and the moment arm are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the moment. This is known as a clockwise moment.

5. How is the sum of moments used in real-life applications?

The sum of moments is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the equilibrium of objects and structures. It is also used in everyday situations, such as opening a door or using a seesaw, where the sum of moments must be balanced for the object to remain in equilibrium.