Teach Physics to GED Holder with No Math Background

• Thread starter mrnike992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker's friend is interested in pursuing a degree in physics but lacks a strong math background and is currently working blue collar jobs. The speaker suggests that the first step for their friend is to improve their math skills, but in the meantime, recommends resources such as Khan Academy for informal learning. They also suggest that their friend apply to a community college and advises that it may take longer to complete their degree due to balancing school and work. The speaker reassures their friend that it is possible to succeed even with a GED and lower placement in math courses.
mrnike992
Background: I've got a friend who is interested in physics. He is 20 years old, has no high school or college experience (has a GED though), and is considering pursuing a degree in physics. Currently he's working blue collar jobs, but would like to go to college someday. His math background is very weak, as is pretty much everything else.

I understand that if he is seriously pursuing a college education, getting him up to speed in math is the first step. However, in the meantime, he is just wanting to learn as much about physics as he can. Are there any good resources that he might benefit from? He's really aiming for an informal, not too structured study of physics. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask him if he can download a free physics book here. It is probably not the textbook you want for college, but it does give you a bunch of physics knowledge.

mrnike992 said:
Background: I've got a friend who is interested in physics. He is 20 years old, has no high school or college experience (has a GED though), and is considering pursuing a degree in physics. Currently he's working blue collar jobs, but would like to go to college someday. His math background is very weak, as is pretty much everything else.

I understand that if he is seriously pursuing a college education, getting him up to speed in math is the first step. However, in the meantime, he is just wanting to learn as much about physics as he can. Are there any good resources that he might benefit from? He's really aiming for an informal, not too structured study of physics. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Khan Academy is a good place to start for really beginner level physics.

I had nothing but a GED starting out and now I'm at a good 4-year school for physics. I placed into pre calculus at a local Community College and built myself up from that. Tell your friend that he should study some mathematics on his own and apply to a community college as soon as he feels ready to move on to college. I was 24 when I started. Just make sure he knows he'll have to work more at school than making money for a long time and won't be able to settle down for that time as well if he wants a degree. He also shouldn't feel bad about placing low in mathematics courses at his CC. Plenty do but still make it work. By placing I don't mean grades, but the placement testing that everyone takes when they start at a CC.

What is the best approach for teaching physics to someone with a GED and no math background?

The best approach for teaching physics to someone with a GED and no math background is to start with basic concepts and build upon them gradually. Use real-life examples and practical applications to make the material more relatable and engaging. It may also be helpful to incorporate visual aids and interactive activities to help solidify understanding.

What are some common misconceptions someone with a GED and no math background may have about physics?

Some common misconceptions that someone with a GED and no math background may have about physics include the belief that it is too complex and only for highly intelligent individuals, or that it is not relevant to their daily lives. It is important to address and debunk these misconceptions early on in the teaching process.

How can I make physics more accessible to someone with a GED and no math background?

To make physics more accessible to someone with a GED and no math background, it is important to break down complex concepts into simpler terms and use real-world examples. It may also be helpful to provide additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, to supplement the learning process.

What are some key topics to cover when teaching physics to someone with a GED and no math background?

Some key topics to cover when teaching physics to someone with a GED and no math background include motion, forces, energy, and basic principles of electricity and magnetism. It is also important to touch on the scientific method and the role of experimentation in understanding and discovering new concepts in physics.

How can I assess the understanding and progress of someone with a GED and no math background in learning physics?

Assessing the understanding and progress of someone with a GED and no math background in learning physics can be done through various methods, such as quizzes, practice problems, and hands-on activities. It is important to provide constructive feedback and offer additional support and resources when needed to ensure their success in learning physics.