Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to think about projects ?

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    Hello all,
    I am a student of electrical engg. undergraduate course. My problem is that I am somewhat clear in the fundamentals but I am unable to prepare projects on the various topics like generation of electricity and others. for e.g I saw somewhere in this forum about a project like this : A person fitted a dynamo onto his cycle to produce electricity.
    Now thats a good idea. I am not able to do think in this way. Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. One thing that can help you as you are starting out, is to build a couple electronics kits. Look at your local electronics store, or online, at the various electronics kits that are available, and pick one that looks fun and interesting. Building the kit will help you in several ways, including getting you started with soldering and assembling projects, and in understanding how the circuit works from the schematic (which is included with the kit).

Once you put toghether a couple of store-bought kits, you will find yourself starting to think more about what kinds of projects you would like to do yourself, and you will have the basic skills of soldering and assembling to be able to do them. You may even combine some of your initial kits with your follow-on projects, like using an FM transmitter kit to help you do remote-control of a robot that you build.

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3
    Sir, I do realize your answer. But my problem is that I am electrical ug and not electronics ug .

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Oh, so more electromechanical assemblies, not so much electronics assemblies? What about robot kits? You could put together a simple robot kit, and use that as a stepping-stone to more complex electromechanical projects. Just a thought.

What kind of projects do you think you would like to work on?

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5
    Yes, sir. You got it right. Electromechanical Assemblies -- like relays and all those electromagnets. The other thing is that these electrical circuits operate at quite low voltage (<50 V) but practically, electrical engineers have to face projects involving 230 V 50 Hz supply (thats the standard supply in India. in US i guess it is 110 V, 60 Hz). So searching about such projects which can make my intellect equivalent to an IITian.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook