How Can I Learn Advanced Math While Balancing a Busy College Schedule?

• Thread starter R.P.F.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a junior math major feeling intimidated by a senior math major who seems to have a better grasp on advanced math. The junior major is struggling to balance their intensive course load and feels drained from doing homework. They express a desire to pick up interesting math on their own and mention some possible resources, including a book on math and magic tricks and another on math and origami. The conversation ends with a suggestion to read about physicist Dirac, who impressed his friends through his silence rather than being a "wind bag."
R.P.F.
I'm a junior math major in a small liberal arts college. I have taken a lot of math classes and will apply to graduate school this year.

Recently I started to talk a lot with another senior math major. He might not have been taking such an intensive schedule as I do, but he seems to know a lot of advanced math. He also has a good memory of what he learned. If you ask him a analysis problem, he can answer it. But if you ask me, I would probably blank out because I don't think I remember much analysis. I just seem to forget so fast after I take a class. I'm packed with a lot of things and I spend most of time doing homework. So I feel too tired to pursue 'extra' math. Although I have a perfect major GPA, I always knew I had problems like these. But talking to him made me panic.

Maybe someone could tell me a non-overwhelming way for me to actually pick up interesting math by myself so I could be one of those cool kids who can quickly bring up a conversation about some awesome theorem.:tongue2: I admire those who have the energy to go off and read math by themselves. I just feel drained by homework(I spend like 70 hours on classroom math every week).

Physics news on Phys.org
First don't be intimidated by your friend. It's not a competition but it is a kind poker game where you want show you're smart without showing it. For math books check out math 1001 by Prof Elwes covers the breadth of math in bite size chunks. You might find your future direction of interest there as he outlines a lot of the current problems in the field.

For parties, there's a book mathematical magic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691151644/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So you do cool magic tricks with math backgrounds and if you practice enough you can use it in a future teaching job or become a professional magican for more pay.

Lastly, Robert Lang has a book on Origami and math that is pretty cool.so you could show off by doing origami figures for the ladies and kids present.

Just thinking

Why do you want to be a wind bag?

Read "The Strangest Man" by Graham Farmelo. Dirac "got by" by never saying anything. He had some very extrovert, irritating friends who were always rabbiting on (Oppenheimer, Kapitza, Gamow...) but he impressed them by his guru like silence...

He didn't do magic tricks (apart from that equation... that impressed them...)

1. How can I improve my critical thinking skills in math?

Improving critical thinking skills in math involves actively engaging with the material, asking questions, and seeking multiple solutions. It also involves breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and identifying patterns and connections between concepts.

2. What are some strategies for problem solving in math?

Some strategies for problem solving in math include identifying and defining the problem, creating a plan or strategy, executing the plan, and evaluating the solution. Other strategies include working backwards, making a table or chart, and using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs.

3. How can I approach word problems in math?

When approaching word problems in math, it is important to read the problem carefully and identify the key information and numbers. Translate the problem into a mathematical equation or model, and then solve the equation step by step. Finally, check your solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the word problem.

4. How can I overcome math anxiety and improve my confidence in math?

To overcome math anxiety and improve confidence in math, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and celebrate small successes. Additionally, positive self-talk and reframing math as a fun and challenging puzzle can also help improve confidence.

5. How can I apply critical thinking skills in real-life situations?

Critical thinking skills in math can be applied in real-life situations by using logical reasoning to solve problems and make decisions. It involves evaluating evidence, considering alternative solutions, and making informed judgments. Examples of real-life applications of critical thinking in math include budgeting, comparison shopping, and planning a trip using mathematical calculations.