Can Faith and Reason Coexist in the Search for Truth?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary, my friend has an atheistic position on UFOs and physics, and he argues that faith is needed to believe in either. He also states that he saw Christ on a UFO, and this is why he believes. My atheist friend argues that this requires faith, and that it is more logical to believe in natural explanations for phenomena like UFOs. In the end, they are both right, and I can see why each of them might have a difficult time admitting it.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been chuckling over this all evening so I decided to make a post. I have a good friend, in fact one of my best friends, who enjoys those slightly, or more than slightly heated philosophical/religious/science debates. Even though we have been friends for a long time now, I drive him totally nuts. I always have. He still hasn't figured out my real position on UFOs, and he thinks physics is way over the edge with ideas like string theory, hyperdimensional spaces, Schrodingers cat, etc, etc, etc. Also, he is an atheist and I'm a Christian. Tonight we got into the whole mess.

He started challenging me on the logic of faith. For the next hour I kept trying to explain that it requires faith to accept or to deny any such belief. We can never prove a negative, so even his position requires faith. He just couldn't see how this could be and it really started ticking him off. We went round, and round, and round, until finally he blurts out in disgust, "that would mean that we can't know anything!". Exactly, I said. So why believe anything? Because some of need to, I replied. Well that's stupid he says. Do you know why I believe in Christ, I asked. Why? Because I saw him on a UFO. I have to hang up now, he replied. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it could be days, maybe weeks, before he thinks of a response!

Ivan Seeking said:
I've been chuckling over this all evening so I decided to make a post. I have a good friend, in fact one of my best friends, who enjoys those slightly, or more than slightly heated philosophical/religious/science debates. Even though we have been friends for a long time now, I drive him totally nuts. I always have. He still hasn't figured out my real position on UFOs, and he thinks physics is way over the edge with ideas like string theory, hyperdimensional spaces, Schrodingers cat, etc, etc, etc. Also, he is an atheist and I'm a Christian. Tonight we got into the whole mess.

He started challenging me on the logic of faith. For the next hour I kept trying to explain that it requires faith to accept or to deny any such belief. We can never prove a negative, so even his position requires faith. He just couldn't see how this could be and it really started ticking him off. We went round, and round, and round, until finally he blurts out in disgust, "that would mean that we can't know anything!". Exactly, I said. So why believe anything? Because some of need to, I replied. Well that's stupid he says. Do you know why I believe in Christ, I asked. Why? Because I saw him on a UFO. I have to hang up now, he replied. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He might never have a response. Good stuff Ivan.

Ivan Seeking said:
Do you know why I believe in Christ, I asked. Why? Because I saw him on a UFO.
My little sister once proposed that JC was an alien sent to Earth in a covert attempt to colonize it. This alien drops in and does all these cool tricks (walking on water must have been a piece of cake, as she put it)... and now, nearly half of planet Earth's population is hoping for the alien to return and rescue us all.

A job well done, eh ?

There are now religions that pretty much teach this as the basis for their philosophy.

The worst of it; it is more logical than accepting visitations by supernatural beings. I have always found it fascinating that devout Christians often treat the ET advocates like their beliefs are irrational, but they assume that Christian beliefs aren't.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
There are now religions that pretty much teach this as the basis for their philosophy.

The worst of it; it is more logical than accepting visitations by supernatural beings. I have always found it fascinating that devout Christians often treat the ET advocates like their beliefs are irrational, but they assume that Christian beliefs aren't.

Well, YEAH. No normal person (normal not being a positive modifier) is going to admit that what they believe might be irrational, that might make it untrue, and god forbid that (literally, and figuratively).

Oh man, that is a good one. I'm going to have to use that faith argument on some of my more anti-sematic(spelling? is it the right word, for that matter?) fiends.

1. How can I torture my friends in a safe and ethical way?

It is not ethical to torture anyone, including your friends. It is important to respect the well-being and autonomy of others. Instead of trying to harm your friends, consider finding healthy and positive ways to interact with them.

2. What are some effective techniques for torturing friends?

Again, it is not appropriate or acceptable to torture anyone, including your friends. Instead of trying to harm them, focus on building strong and positive relationships through open communication, trust, and respect.

3. Can I use physical pain as a form of torture on my friends?

No, causing physical harm to others is not acceptable. It is important to prioritize the safety and well-being of your friends and refrain from any actions that may cause them harm.

4. Is psychological torture a form of harmless fun among friends?

No, psychological torture can have serious and long-lasting effects on a person's mental health. It is not a form of harmless fun and should never be used, even among friends.

5. How do I know when I've gone too far in my attempts to torture my friends?

If you are questioning whether your actions towards your friends may be harmful or causing them discomfort, it is important to stop and reassess your behavior. Remember to always prioritize the well-being and consent of others in any interactions.