How to tough to publish string theory topics?

In summary, publishing in the field of string theory can be challenging, especially for alternative theories. However, if you have something original to contribute and are well-versed in a branch of physics or mathematics not yet applied in string theory, you may have a chance to be published. Attending conferences and workshops, networking, and reading recent papers can also provide research ideas and opportunities to share your own ideas.
pivoxa15
String theory seems to be an over popularised topic with many talented people working on it already. How tough is it these days to publish in this field (on the mathematics/theory side rather than applying string theory to experiments or what not).

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have something original to contribute, it will be published. There is some argument that alternative theories have a harder time getting attention.

mathman said:
If you have something original to contribute, it will be published. There is some argument that alternative theories have a harder time getting attention.

The question is how hard is it to contribute something orginal as so much have been looked at by clever people.

It depends on who you are. A graduate student or a post-doc in physics will get direction from senior faculty. If you don't have any connection with some research center, you will have a hard time finding a problem that hasn't been worked on.

It may help if you are already an expert in some branche of physics or mathematics which so far has NOT been used in string theory. Then you have a chance to be the first who applied this branche of physics/mathematics in string theory. In fact, this is how I have published my first papers on string theory.

Demystifier said:
It may help if you are already an expert in some branche of physics or mathematics which so far has NOT been used in string theory. Then you have a chance to be the first who applied this branche of physics/mathematics in string theory. In fact, this is how I have published my first papers on string theory.

Where did you publish it?

pivoxa15 said:
Where did you publish it?
Eur. Phys. J. C (I think the impact factor is about 3.5)

You might also try to attend conferences and workshops on the topic.
You can learn about what some researchers are currently working on...and possibly what they are stuck on. It's also a good opportunity to network... and possibly share your ideas.

Last edited:
Just Look at arixv and start reading recent papers you will find a lot of research ideas that you might be interested in and which nobody has worked on before.

Necropost alert! This thread is four years old.

1. What is string theory and why is it important?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of the universe by describing the behavior of subatomic particles as tiny, vibrating strings. It is important because it has the potential to unify all the forces of nature and provide a deeper understanding of how our universe works.

2. What are some challenges in publishing string theory topics?

One of the main challenges in publishing string theory topics is the highly complex and mathematical nature of the theory. This can make it difficult for non-experts to understand and for peer reviewers to evaluate. Additionally, string theory is still a developing field and many ideas and theories have not yet been fully tested or proven.

3. How can I improve my chances of getting a string theory topic published?

To improve your chances of getting a string theory topic published, it is important to thoroughly understand the current state of the field and the existing literature. You should also ensure that your research is original, well-supported by evidence, and contributes something new to the field. Additionally, seeking feedback from colleagues and experts in the field can help improve the quality of your paper.

4. Are there any specific journals that are best for publishing string theory topics?

There are several prestigious journals that regularly publish string theory topics, such as Physical Review Letters, Journal of High Energy Physics, and Classical and Quantum Gravity. However, it is important to carefully research and target journals that align with your specific topic and level of expertise.

5. How can I make my string theory topic more accessible to a wider audience?

One way to make your string theory topic more accessible to a wider audience is to include clear and concise explanations of the theory and any complex mathematical concepts. Visual aids, such as diagrams or illustrations, can also help to make the topic more understandable. Additionally, providing real-world examples or applications of the theory can make it more relatable to non-experts.