How to transfer analysis result to second analysis in Abaqus

In summary, to check the buckling of a beam in fire, you will need to conduct a heat transfer analysis for 30 minutes to determine the temperature history of the beam. You can then use this data in your buckle analysis by exporting the temperature data as a time-temperature curve and setting the temperature as a function of time. Alternatively, you can import the temperature data directly into the buckle analysis. Be sure to also consider the effects of thermal expansion and thermal conductivity by using temperature-dependent material properties.
hoomanya
Hi,

I have to check the buckling of a beam in fire. To do this I am following the below stages:

1. Conduct a heat transfer analysis ( transient ) for 30 minutes in fire , to find out the temperature history of the beam. Please not the temperature of the beam is not uniform

2. perform 6 runs of buckle analysis and using temperature dependant material properties in this stage.​

I want to set the temperature of the beam (using pre-defined) in buckle analysis to the temperature of the beam in the heat transfer analysis for each 5 minutes( in total 30/5=6 buckle analysis).

I would appreciate it if you could tell me how I can use the temperature of a certain time from heat transfer analysis in the buckle analysis.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It is important to consider the temperature history of the beam in your buckle analysis, as the material properties of the beam will change as it is exposed to heat. Here are some steps you can take to incorporate the temperature data from the heat transfer analysis into your buckle analysis:

1. Export the temperature data from your heat transfer analysis as a time-temperature curve. This will show the temperature of the beam at different time intervals during the 30-minute analysis.

2. In your buckle analysis, you can define the temperature of the beam using the temperature curve you exported. This can be done by setting the temperature as a function of time, using the time-temperature curve as the input.

3. Depending on the software you are using, you may also be able to directly import the temperature data from the heat transfer analysis into the buckle analysis. This will ensure that the temperature data is accurately reflected in the buckle analysis.

4. It is important to also consider the thermal expansion and thermal conductivity of the beam in your buckle analysis, as these properties will also be affected by the temperature. Make sure to use temperature-dependent material properties in your analysis.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your analysis!

Question 1: What is the best way to transfer analysis results from one analysis to another in Abaqus?

The best way to transfer analysis results in Abaqus is to use the "Output Database" (ODB) file. This file contains all of the results from the first analysis and can be read by the second analysis to use as initial conditions or boundary conditions.

Question 2: Can I transfer only specific results from the first analysis to the second analysis?

Yes, you can select which results to transfer by using the "Field Output" option in the ODB file. This allows you to choose specific results, such as displacements or stresses, to be transferred to the second analysis.

Question 3: How do I ensure that the results are transferred correctly between the two analyses?

It is important to ensure that the mesh and element types are consistent between the two analyses. Additionally, the boundary conditions and loading conditions should also be kept as similar as possible to avoid any discrepancies in the results.

Question 4: Is it possible to transfer results from a static analysis to a dynamic analysis?

Yes, it is possible to transfer results from a static analysis to a dynamic analysis. However, the time steps and loading conditions need to be adjusted accordingly in the dynamic analysis to ensure accurate results.

Question 5: Can I transfer results from one analysis to multiple subsequent analyses?

Yes, you can transfer results from one analysis to multiple subsequent analyses by using the ODB file. The ODB file can be read by any number of subsequent analyses, allowing you to use the same initial conditions or boundary conditions for multiple analyses.