How to treat internal resistance in calculations ?

In summary, treating internal resistance in calculations requires understanding the concept of internal resistance and its impact on circuit components. It involves taking into account the internal resistance when calculating voltage and current in a circuit. This can be done by using Ohm's law and incorporating the internal resistance in the calculations. Additionally, using Thevenin's theorem can help simplify complex circuits with internal resistance. It is important to accurately measure and account for internal resistance in order to ensure accurate and efficient calculations in electrical circuits.
Not sure what you mean.
What do you have in mind?

My bad. I forgot Kirchhoff law is applied only to a single closed loop. But why did we necessarily choose the right divergence to the 10V source? Would picking the left side divergence of the closed loop using the 10V source legit as well? (the loop marked in red)
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7064/isitokay.jpg
That's an awkward way to learn!
Can't look ahead and forces you to do things exactly in the pace the teacher sets.

Same way in materials science. We cope with what we get, and try to solve exercises often a bit our of our league. :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
My bad. I forgot Kirchhoff law is applied only to a single closed loop. But why did we necessarily choose the right divergence to the 10V source? Would picking the left side divergence of the closed loop using the 10V source legit as well? (the loop marked in red)

Random choice.
But yes, you can also choose your red loop. :)

Femme_physics said:
Same way in materials science. We cope with what we get, and try to solve exercises often a bit our of our league. :-/

Then it's good that you already know a bit more about electronics!
If you get an exercise now, it won't be out of your league, but it'll be easy peasy! :)

Random choice.
But yes, you can also choose your red loop. :)

+29xp points
*LEVEL UP*
Femme_Physics is now a level 2 electrician!
*Chooses new feat: Voltage power*
*Chooses new attribute: +1 intelligence*

:wink:

NOW it's clear :) I feel so empowered to do math and electronics now! You wanted me to find I2 though? Well, I have 3 equations with 3 unknowns, I just plug the result of I1 to the equations to get what I need.

-60 x 0.2 -20IL+18 = 0
IL = 0.3 [A]

Plugging that to the last equation:
I1+I2-IL=0
0.2+I2-0.3=0
I2=0.1 [A]
There!

Femme_physics said:
+29xp points
*LEVEL UP*
Femme_Physics is now a level 2 electrician!
*Chooses new feat: Voltage power*
*Chooses new attribute: +1 intelligence*

:rofl:

+29xp points
*LEVEL UP*
I like Serena is now a level 2 homework helper!
*Chooses new feat: Kirchhoff's laws*
*Chooses new attribute: +1 wisdom*

Femme_physics said:
NOW it's clear :) I feel so empowered to do math and electronics now! You wanted me to find I2 though? Well, I have 3 equations with 3 unknowns, I just plug the result of I1 to the equations to get what I need.

Oh yeah, I'd completely forgotten about that! :)

Femme_physics said:
-60 x 0.2 -20IL+18 = 0
IL = 0.3 [A]

Plugging that to the last equation:
I1+I2-IL=0
0.2+I2-0.3=0
I2=0.1 [A]
There!

Very good! :smile:

However, I'm afraid I miss remembered. I thought I2 would come out negative, meaning that the 10 V battery would be charging.
Anyway, I think that point is kind of moot now.

Anyway, I think that point is kind of moot now.

It'd probably come up in other problems :)

+29xp points
*LEVEL UP*
I like Serena is now a level 2 homework helper!
*Chooses new feat: Kirchhoff's laws*
*Chooses new attribute: +1 wisdom*

:D This is by far the longest homework help thread I ever had! Much obliged, ILS, gneill. You rock^^

Never thought I'd pass the 70 replies! :bugeye:

Femme_physics said:
This is by far the longest homework help thread I ever had! Much obliged, ILS, gneill. You rock^^

Never thought I'd pass the 70 replies! :bugeye:

Apparently you were given a problem that you wouldn't be able to solve with the knowledge they imparted on you.

And not only did you solve the problem anyway, but you learned an entire new field of science to handle all of these problems! :smile:
I'm sorry it took us over 70 posts to teach you this entire field. :P

I suspect you will be the only one in your class that will have solved this problem, unless another student has an unfair advantage. :wink: