How to turn down an admission offer already accepted

• Admissions
  • Thread starter randomseeker453
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Admission
In summary: I am really Unsure what to do.In summary, the applicant accepted an offer of admission from one graduate program, but has since accepted an offer of admission from a more lucrative program. The applicant is Unsure of how to respond to the admissions chair of the old graduate program who offered the applicant admission, having been accepted two months prior.
Check the terms and consult with your present advisor, and both schools that you are considering, but be straightforward with them and don't say something misleading like "unavoidable circumstances".

Physics news on Phys.org
f95toli said:
To be fair, part of the problem here is that the two two schools do not send out their offers at roughly the same time

Which is why tha majority of schools in the US have adopted a common date of April 15.

Vanadium 50 said:
Which is why tha majority of schools in the US have adopted a common date of April 15.

Indeed. But since the OP is in Canada where this is apparently not the case, it follows that both schools should be used to situations like this. It certainly happens in the UK and I can't imagine anyone blaming the students for looking out for themselves.

I notified via email. There was no reply.

You didn't do any of the things we recommended did you?

I did all the things you recommended. I checked the terms and I used your template and Vanadium 50's advice to customise that template and then I sent it.

Yes, this was probably the best thing you could have done if you really wanted to go to the other school. Let's hope it has minimal repercussions.

micromass said:
Yes, this was probably the best thing you could have done if you really wanted to go to the other school. Let's hope it has minimal repercussions.

Ok. I just hope nothing happens to me at the port of entry to the country.

Yes but you didn't call or email anyone. Those were the important parts of the advice. Oh well, what's done is done. Good luck.

just put it as plainly and honestly as possible. do not feel any obligation to accept an offer you do not prefer. just express appreciation for the offer but say you have received unexpectedly another offer that seems better suited to yiour goals. and stop there.

but be sure you really are choosing the better place for you, not just the place that has higher ratings.

I asked permission from my first graduate school to release me (I told them that my new graduate school does not participate in the april 15 resolution).

The reply was that they would let me go on one condition - that I tell them the name of the new graduate program.

Is it risky to divulge the name of the new graduate program?

Seems like a small price for getting what you want.