Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to type formula in tex at PF?

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1
    I used "search" by typing "tex" but only find a thread, it seems to said that by using [tex]...[/tex] , you can type formula well.
    So I tried this and preview the post, but it was not valid, and I was confused.
    I just typed like below,thx:

[tex]

\nabla(\bf{x}\cdot
    \bf{a})=\bf{a}+\bf{x}(\nabla\cdot\bf{a})+i(\bf{L}\times\bf{a})
    \ \
    where \ \ \bf{L}={\frac{1}{i}}(\bf{x}\times\nabla)

[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a thread where you can view other people's code and try your own (you're allowed to just practice using LaTex in it). It's a sticky thread in the General Physics forum in case you don't bookmark it and need to find it again later.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

4. Sep 24, 2005 #3
    thanks, I just found it^_^. and before this, I found formula I type can be shown normally, it's glad to see this. but still there are two question:
    1. it says that we use tex & /tex, but how to add [] in the beginning and the end to tell others or just show this as explanation , because they disapper as tags after u post them.
    2. how to begin a second paragraph or how to type enter in formula here? I tried to insert "\\" before "where" above but failed.

5. Sep 24, 2005 #4
    IC, thanks anyway!
    1.Just add several spaces as [ tex ]...[ /tex ] .
    2.add two [ tex ]...[ /tex ] can print as an "enter",maybe like below:

[tex]
    \nabla(\bf{x}\cdot\bf{a})=\bf{a}+\bf{x}(\nabla\cdot\bf{a})+i(\bf{L}\times\bf{a})
    [/tex]
    where
    [tex]
    \bf{L}={\frac{1}{i}}(\bf{x}\times\nabla)
    [/tex]

6. Sep 24, 2005 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's also another set of tags: [ itex ](stuff)[ /itex ]. The "i" stands for "inline", and it does just that: It lines the TeX up with the rest of your text. Check it out.

With [ tex ] tags:

The Lorentz factor in natural units is [tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}[/tex].

And with [ itex ] tags:

The Lorentz factor in natural units is [itex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}[/itex].

7. Sep 25, 2005 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

8. Oct 8, 2005 #7
  9. Oct 8, 2005 #8

hotvette

Homework Helper

10. Oct 8, 2005 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, then it can get ignored right along with the other sticky that's there (the one that says, "Read this before posting.") :frown:

Eh, maybe I'll make my own sticky that has the most commonly used equations in basic physics.

11. Oct 9, 2005 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

I read all your stickies! o:) ( they're too long! :cry:)

You know Tom, you're too nice with kids in HW part. Whenever you see they don't use LaTex, you can simply post that sticky to them and ask them to learn how to use it. If you ask other HW helpers to do the same, you might be able to tackle this problem.

(Sometimes I think Greg should make a quiz about forum rules and using LaTex, and ask people to take it before registration. So only those people who can pass the test, would be allowed to post here! :biggrin: But I'm afraid they even don't get that they have to pass the test if they want to become a member here! :uhh:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?