How to type formula in tex at PF?

• Thread starter Dale12
  • Start date
In summary: You know Tom, you're too nice with kids in HW part. Whenever you see they don't use LaTeX, you can simply post that sticky to them and ask them to learn how to use it. If you ask other HW helpers to do the same, you might be able to tackle this problem.
Dale12
I used "search" by typing "tex" but only find a thread, it seems to said that by using [tex]...[/tex] , you can type formula well.
So I tried this and preview the post, but it was not valid, and I was confused.
I just typed like below,thx:

[tex]

\nabla(\bf{x}\cdot
\bf{a})=\bf{a}+\bf{x}(\nabla\cdot\bf{a})+i(\bf{L}\times\bf{a})
\ \
where \ \ \bf{L}={\frac{1}{i}}(\bf{x}\times\nabla)

[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a thread where you can view other people's code and try your own (you're allowed to just practice using LaTex in it). It's a sticky thread in the General Physics forum in case you don't bookmark it and need to find it again later.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Moonbear said:
Here's a thread where you can view other people's code and try your own (you're allowed to just practice using LaTex in it). It's a sticky thread in the General Physics forum in case you don't bookmark it and need to find it again later.

thanks, I just found it^_^. and before this, I found formula I type can be shown normally, it's glad to see this. but still there are two question:
1. it says that we use tex & /tex, but how to add [] in the beginning and the end to tell others or just show this as explanation , because they disapper as tags after u post them.
2. how to begin a second paragraph or how to type enter in formula here? I tried to insert "\\" before "where" above but failed.

Last edited:
IC, thanks anyway!
1.Just add several spaces as [ tex ]...[ /tex ] .
2.add two [ tex ]...[ /tex ] can print as an "enter",maybe like below:

[tex]
\nabla(\bf{x}\cdot\bf{a})=\bf{a}+\bf{x}(\nabla\cdot\bf{a})+i(\bf{L}\times\bf{a})
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\bf{L}={\frac{1}{i}}(\bf{x}\times\nabla)
[/tex]

Last edited:
There's also another set of tags: [ itex ](stuff)[ /itex ]. The "i" stands for "inline", and it does just that: It lines the TeX up with the rest of your text. Check it out.

With [ tex ] tags:

The Lorentz factor in natural units is [tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}[/tex].

And with [ itex ] tags:

The Lorentz factor in natural units is [itex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}[/itex].

Lisa! said:
Why don't you make that a sticky thread in HW part too!?

Yeah, then it can get ignored right along with the other sticky that's there (the one that says, "Read this before posting.") :frown:

Eh, maybe I'll make my own sticky that has the most commonly used equations in basic physics.

Tom Mattson said:
Yeah, then it can get ignored right along with the other sticky that's there (the one that says, "Read this before posting.") :frown:

Eh, maybe I'll make my own sticky that has the most commonly used equations in basic physics.
I read all your stickies! o:) ( they're too long! :cry:)

You know Tom, you're too nice with kids in HW part. Whenever you see they don't use LaTex, you can simply post that sticky to them and ask them to learn how to use it. If you ask other HW helpers to do the same, you might be able to tackle this problem.

(Sometimes I think Greg should make a quiz about forum rules and using LaTex, and ask people to take it before registration. So only those people who can pass the test, would be allowed to post here! :biggrin: But I'm afraid they even don't get that they have to pass the test if they want to become a member here! :uhh:)

1. How do I type a mathematical equation in Tex at PF?

To type a mathematical equation in Tex at PF, first you need to enclose the equation in dollar signs ($). Then, use the appropriate Tex commands and symbols to build your equation. For example, to type the square root of x, you would use \sqrt{x}.

2. Can I use Tex to type complex equations with multiple variables and symbols?

Yes, Tex is designed to handle complex mathematical equations with ease. You can use a variety of Tex commands and symbols to build your equation, including fractions, exponents, and integrals.

3. Do I need to install any software or plugins to type formula in Tex at PF?

No, you do not need to install any additional software or plugins to type formula in Tex at PF. PF has a built-in Tex editor that allows you to type equations directly on the platform.

4. Is there a limit to the length or complexity of equations that can be typed in Tex at PF?

No, there is no limit to the length or complexity of equations that can be typed in Tex at PF. However, for readability and clarity, it is recommended to break down long equations into smaller parts with appropriate notation.

5. Can I use Tex to type equations in other languages besides English?

Yes, Tex supports a variety of languages and alphabets, including but not limited to English, French, Spanish, and Greek. You can specify the language in the Tex command by using the appropriate language code, such as \textit{fr} for French or \textit{es} for Spanish.