How Can I Type Space Between Two Equations in Latex?

In summary, there are several ways to type "space" in Latex, such as using \, \quad, \qquad, \: \;, or \ followed by a space. The amount of space can be adjusted depending on the purpose, and for aligning systems of equations, there are other options like the align* environment.
wam_mi
How to type "space" in Latex

Hi there,

Can I just ask how can I type "space" between two equations (for example) on the same line?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I normally use
\,
\quad
\qquad
Depending on the amount of space I need:
[tex]x\,y[/tex]
[tex]x\quad y[/tex]
[tex]x\qquad y[/tex]
For some purposes such as aligning systems of equations there are better alternatives such as the environment align*.

EDIT:
I just remembered that
\:
\;
\ (just \ followed by a space).
also works as follows:
[tex]x\:y[/tex]
[tex]x\; y[/tex]
[tex]x\ y[/tex]

I just looked up the relation between them and it turns out that
\, = 3/18 \quad
\: = 4/18 \quad
\; = 5/18 \quad
\ = corresponds to normal space.
\qquad = 2\quad
I'm not exactly a LaTeX expert so if someone spots an error feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Hello! I am familiar with using Latex for typesetting equations and other scientific documents. To type "space" in Latex, you can use the command "\ " (backslash followed by a space). This will insert a small space between two equations on the same line. Alternatively, you can use "\quad" or "\qquad" for larger spaces. I hope this helps and good luck with your document!

1. How do I type a space in Latex?

To type a space in Latex, you can simply use the spacebar on your keyboard. Alternatively, you can use the command "\ " (backslash followed by a space) to insert a space between words or equations.

2. Can I insert multiple spaces in Latex?

Yes, you can insert multiple spaces in Latex by using the command "\quad" for a space equivalent to one character, "\qquad" for a space equivalent to two characters, or "\hspace{length}" to specify the length of the space in a unit of your choice.

3. How do I add non-breaking spaces in Latex?

To add a non-breaking space in Latex, use the command "~" (tilde). This will prevent the space from being divided between two lines or pages.

4. How do I type a space in a math equation in Latex?

If you want to add a space between numbers or symbols in a math equation, you can use the command "\," for a small space, "\;" for a medium space, or "\ " for a large space. These commands work in both inline and display math mode.

5. Can I change the size of spaces in Latex?

Yes, you can change the size of spaces in Latex by using the commands "\hspace{length}" and "\vspace{length}" to specify the length of the space in a unit of your choice. You can also use the commands "\smallskip", "\medskip", and "\bigskip" to insert pre-defined amounts of space.