1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to understand equations of simple harmonic motion

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1
    hello...

I was wondering if someone can help me fully understand the equations of SHM:

x(t) = A cos (wt + theata)
    v(t) = -A sin (wt + theata)
    a(t) = -A cos (wt + theata)

you see... i know that A is the amplitude and that theata is the phase shift. I know that w is agular frequency, but i dont know what it does and how to find period with it.

My real problem is the t infron of w. I have no idea what that is and I have know idea how to use it in a calcuation.

Can someone please explain to me a good general vieow of how to interpret these euqations.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The frequency of the oscillations is

[tex]f = \omega / 2\pi[/tex]

The period is:

[tex]T = 1 / f = 2\pi / \omega[/tex]

t is the time. For example, if you want to know where the object is at t=0, just plug in the t value:

[tex]x(0) = A \cos(\omega \times 0 + \theta)[/tex]
    [tex]= A \cos(\theta)[/tex]

4. Nov 9, 2004 #3
    t is just time, of course - plotted along the horizontal axis. [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular speed in radians/sec. So [itex]\omega t [/itex] is just the angular displacement in radians. Since one complete cycle or circle is [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians, [itex]\omega t = 2\pi\nu t = 2\pi t/T[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?