Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to upgrade my microscope?

1. Aug 1, 2005 #1

i have some questions regrading to "how to updrage my microscope?"
    i'll be very thankfull for any kind of reply...
    I am a student that need to make a little project, so i don't have much knowledge...
    I have a pretty old microscope - "ergolux zl-19". and i want to upgrade it, so it will have some more features.
    first i need to add some kind of illumination so that i'll be able to see the object from variety of angels from the side. i looked in the net and saw that i can use either fiber optic, or just some kind of long cable with a lamp in the end. how do i know what's better? then, how do i choose what kind of fiber optic, or what kind of cable?
    second i might want to watch my object threw polarized light. i need to know how to connect a polarizer. i think i'll need for my job two polarizers.
    So,according to those guidelines, does anyone have any tips? can i use fiber optics before a polarizer? when would someone want to use a fiber optic and when to use the "old way" - guiding the light threw lens and mirrors? do you know maybe where i can find some usefull information, some links maybe, where i can learn how to do those things? maybe some applied physics usefull information? literature?
    again, thanks a lot for any kind of reply...
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2005 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?