1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use a complex number?

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    When I solve a quadratic equation I need to find a Discriminant. If D>0 I have no problem. I can find x1 and x2. And when I draw a parabola I can see the x1 and x2 on a X-line.

But when D<0 I don't understand where I can find x1 and x2 on a plot of function.

For example for 5x2+2x+1=0
    I have complex solutions: x1 = -0.2-0.4j and x2 = -0.2+0.4j

Ok. It's the answer, but what I can do with one? Where can I find this points on the plot of function?

It's a plot of funciton y=5x2+2x+1
    GPryzOC.png

Coordinates of a Minimum Point is X = -0,2 Y = 0,8.

What does (y=0; x=-0.2+0.4) mean? How can I use this expression? Where I can find the point with coordinates y=0; x=-0.2+0.4j ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not on the Real Plane, unfortunately.

Since the parabola shown does not intersect the x-axis, it has no real roots.

Because the discriminant D < 0, it does have a pair of complex conjugate roots which satisfy the equation.

Applying the Quadratic formula should give you:

x = {-2 ± √[(-4)2-4(5)(1)]} / (2)(5)

or x = -0.2 ± 0.2 i [Note: you made an arithmetic error when you took the square root of D]

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3
    I think traditionally "i" is used instead of "j" for complex numbers but that doesn't matter for your question.

The graph you are showing is a 2-dimensional graph of the x-y plane. x and y are real numbers so this is the "real" plane. Graphically there are no real values for x where y=0.

However, if you were to create another plane perpendicular to the x-y plane where you now use j as the "z"-axis then this is the "complex" plane. If you now plot the values of y for different values of x+zj you would get something in 3-dimensions that looks like a series of inverted parabolas that look like a saddle (called a hyperbolic paraboloid). Graphically you would see that the saddle intersects the y=0 plane on two lines: x = -0.2+0.2zj and x = -0.2 - 0.2zj.

image007.gif

In the picture z has taken the place of y and vice versa.

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4
    Thanks a lot. It was very useful answers for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted