1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use a Spherometer

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to figure out what/how to use one without seeing/having one.

Am I right in saying the following.

It has three legs, which form the vertices of an equilateral triangle. The centre leg is placed onto a lens, and it's adjusted until they all balance/evne out. Then the distance of it has been adjusted is noted, and put into this formula (on wikipedia I found);

r = [ (a^2 + 3h^2)/6h ]

in which a = distance between feet, and h is the distance it's been adjusted.

Is there a diagrammatical representation of this? Can someone correct any mistakes?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are three fixed legs separated by distance a and an adjustable leg in the center of the triangle.

http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Optics/Spherometer/Spherometer.html

The flat disk is engraved with the markings to show the d value. The vertical flat is aligned with the markings to read d.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?