1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use friction equations

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The coefficient of sliding friction between two materials is 0.35. A 5.0 kg object made of one material is being pulled along a table made of another material. What is the force of friction?

I'm fairly certain I solved the problem correctly, the thing is, I should be getting a negative force as the answer (because I defined forward as positive), and I'm getting a positive force. Could someone please point out which part of my solution is incorrect.

2. Relevant equations
    F1 is force of sliding friction, F2 is normal force, and μ is the coefficient of sliding friction:
    F1=μF2

3. The attempt at a solution
    F1=μF2
    =0.35(mg)
    =17.15N
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation F1=μF2 only gives the magnitude of the frictional force. The force of friction, F1, is in a direction perpendicular to the normal force, F2 , so that equation cannot be true in a vector sense.

The force of friction is in such a direction as to oppose the relative motion of the two objects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook