How to use friction equations

• Thread starter HelloImAsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: If we define the direction of motion as positive, then the force of friction is negative. This means that the force of friction is actually -17.15N. In summary, the coefficient of sliding friction between two materials is 0.35 and the force of friction between a 5.0 kg object and a table made of another material is -17.15N, indicating that the force of friction is in the direction opposite of the defined direction of motion.
HelloImAsh

Homework Statement

The coefficient of sliding friction between two materials is 0.35. A 5.0 kg object made of one material is being pulled along a table made of another material. What is the force of friction?

I'm fairly certain I solved the problem correctly, the thing is, I should be getting a negative force as the answer (because I defined forward as positive), and I'm getting a positive force. Could someone please point out which part of my solution is incorrect.

Homework Equations

F1 is force of sliding friction, F2 is normal force, and μ is the coefficient of sliding friction:
F1=μF2

The Attempt at a Solution

F1=μF2
=0.35(mg)
=17.15N

Physics news on Phys.org
HelloImAsh said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of sliding friction between two materials is 0.35. A 5.0 kg object made of one material is being pulled along a table made of another material. What is the force of friction?

I'm fairly certain I solved the problem correctly, the thing is, I should be getting a negative force as the answer (because I defined forward as positive), and I'm getting a positive force. Could someone please point out which part of my solution is incorrect.

Homework Equations

F1 is force of sliding friction, F2 is normal force, and μ is the coefficient of sliding friction:
F1=μF2

The Attempt at a Solution

F1=μF2
=0.35(mg)
=17.15N
The equation F1=μF2 only gives the magnitude of the frictional force. The force of friction, F1, is in a direction perpendicular to the normal force, F2 , so that equation cannot be true in a vector sense.

The force of friction is in such a direction as to oppose the relative motion of the two objects.

1. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It affects motion by creating resistance, making it more difficult for objects to move.

2. What are the different types of friction?

The three types of friction are static, kinetic, and rolling. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding against each other, and rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

3. How do you calculate friction force?

The formula for calculating friction force is F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between two surfaces.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. The coefficient of friction also plays a role in determining the amount of friction.

5. How can friction equations be applied in real-world situations?

Friction equations can be applied in various real-world situations, such as determining the force needed to move an object, calculating the stopping distance of a vehicle, or designing better traction for tires. They are also important in engineering and design to ensure the safety and functionality of structures and machines.