Troubleshooting: Getting Math Symbols to Display Properly

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of using the $\LaTeX$ tool to render symbols and how to properly input codes in order for them to be rendered. It is suggested to use the pre-defined tags or the button with the $\sum$ symbol on it, and to put the codes between dollar signs. The conversation also mentions a potential sub-forum for $\LaTeX$ help and the confusion surrounding the instructions for using $\LaTeX$.
scottshannon
I am frustrated because although I put in the symbol for \sqrt{x} it doesn't translate it to the symbol. How can I get the **** thing to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Scott,

In order for the codes you type or generate using our Quick $\LaTeX$ too to render, you need to wrap them in pre-defined tags. Perhaps the simplest way to go about this is to look on our posting toolbar for the button with the $\sum$ symbol on it, and click that to generate the [MATH][/MATH] tags. The cursur will be conveniently located in between the tags, ready for you to type or input the code.

I am going to move this thread to our LaTeX help sub-forum. :D

\sum_{1}^{n}This is what came out...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand..am I stupid stupid stupid?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see any latex subforum...I have unsuccessfully tried to use latex for years

Put them in between dollar signs.

Code:
$\sum_{1}^{n}$

$\sum_{1}^{n}$

Double dollar signs are for large (not inline) equations:

Code:
$$\sum_{1}^{n}$$

$$\sum_{1}^{n}$$

Mark how was I supposed to know to do that?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how one intuitively knows to do that...I have never been able to understand the complicated directions in latex users manuals

- - - Updated - - -

$\sum_{1}^{n}$ this is what I get

1. Why are my math symbols not displaying properly?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be an issue with your computer's settings, a problem with the font being used, or an error in the code that is causing the symbols to not display correctly.

2. How can I fix the issue of math symbols not displaying correctly?

The first step is to check your computer's settings and make sure that the correct font is selected for displaying mathematical symbols. If that doesn't work, try using a different font or checking for errors in your code.

3. What if I am seeing strange characters instead of math symbols?

This could be due to a mismatch between the font being used and the characters in your code. Make sure that the font supports the symbols you are trying to display.

4. Why do some math symbols display properly while others do not?

Certain symbols may require a specific font or coding to display correctly. Make sure that you are using the correct font and code for each symbol.

5. Can I change the size or appearance of math symbols?

Yes, you can change the size, color, and other properties of math symbols by using CSS or other formatting tools. Make sure to use the correct code and syntax for the changes you want to make.