What is the use of \frac{5}{15} in LaTeX?

In summary: LaTeX is a typesetting system that is used by mathematicians and others who need a more comprehensive formatting option than what .doc or .docx offer. LaTeX can handle more formats and features than .doc or .docx, and is also widely available for download from various sources.
Luke77
[itex]\frac{5}{15}[/itex]

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]

Is this what people mean by LaTeX. Just wondering. Thankyou.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Small subset, just a starting point.

That's just mathematics typesetting in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]. You can typeset documents, presentations, posters, etc. with it.

Thanks

Just to elaborate on what Borek and jhae2.718 already said, the mathematics aspect of LaTeX is just a tiny subset of the overall capabilities. People who have never written a mathematical equation in their life use LaTeX. I can tell at a glance whether some article was written with TeX or LaTeX via a very simple metric: Is it readable?

I always look for the cmr [itex]\mathrm{R}[/itex] when I'm unsure...it's very distinctive.

Continuing on, if I need to make any kind of document, I do it in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex].

Other convenient thing in latex: You can reference all of your equations, figures, and references by some nickname you give them, and when yo compile the document, it will number them all for you, so you don't have to keep changing numbers throughout your document to reference different figures, equations, and references.

BibTeX is also wonderful for citations; it's a standard format that you can automatically generate a bibliography formatted to almost any style (e.g. AIAA, AMS, IEEE, etc.)

Documents are plain text, so you can keep them under version control (like git) and you never have to worry about having the wrong version like .doc or .docx.

LaTeX does the formatting for you; it's What You See Is What You Mean, as opposed to What You See Is What You Get. This abstracts the formatting process from the writing process, so you focus on the content and structure.

There's the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN) that has packages (add-in to make LaTeX handle more formats, features, etc.) where you can find almost everything you would ever need.

Hi Luke,

if you would like to learn something about LaTeX, perhaps have a look at LaTeX-Community.org. There's a large collection of articles, news posts and feed, and a very active LaTeX dedicated user support forum.

Stefan

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting software used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and academia. It uses a markup language to format text, making it easier to create professional-looking documents with complex equations and symbols.

2. How do I write fractions in LaTeX?

To write fractions in LaTeX, you can use the \frac command followed by the numerator and denominator within curly braces. For example, \frac{5}{15} will display the fraction 5/15.

3. What if I want to display a mixed number in LaTeX?

To display a mixed number in LaTeX, you can use the \dfrac command followed by the whole number, numerator, and denominator within curly braces. For example, \dfrac{1}{2} will display the mixed number 1 1/2.

4. Can I change the formatting of fractions in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the formatting of fractions in LaTeX by using different commands such as \tfrac for a smaller fraction or \cfrac for a larger fraction. You can also change the appearance of the fraction line by using the \genfrac command.

5. How do I align fractions in LaTeX?

To align fractions in LaTeX, you can use the align environment and the & symbol to specify where you want the fractions to be aligned. For example, \begin{align} \frac{1}{2} &+ \frac{1}{4} \\ \frac{3}{4} \end{align} will display two fractions aligned at the equal sign.