How to use mean theorem to solve this proof

In summary: The role of that is to give us a function that we can apply the mean value theorem to. It is an auxiliary function needed to construct the proof.
transgalactic
f(x) continues in [a,b] interval,and differentiable (a,b) b>a>0
alpha differs 0
proove that there is b>c>a

in that formula:
http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=81208753je3.gif

my trial:
i mark alpha as "&"
mean theorim says f'(c)=[(f(b)-f(a)]/(b-a)

[f(b)*(a^&) - f(a)*b^&] / [a^& - b^&]= f(c) -c * [(f(b)-f(a)]/[(b-a) * &]using mean theorem i replaced f'(c)
what should i do next??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use the mean value theorem to prove that, for appropriate conditions on f, a, b, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] that you don't give,
[tex]\frac{\left|\begin{array}{cc}f(a) & a^\alpha \\ f(b) & b^\alpha\end{array}\right|}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= f(c)- \frac{cf'(c)}{\alpha}[/tex]

That is the same as
[tex]\frac{a^\alpha f(b)- b^\alpha f(a)}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= f(c)- \frac{cf(c)}{\alpha}[/itex]

Obviously we have to construct some function [itex]\phi[/itex] to which to apply the mean value theorem. My first thought was something like [itex]x^\alpha f(x)[/itex] but I notice that "a" and "b" are swapped in the numerator. The line y= b-(x-a)= a+b- x passes thorugh (a,b) and (b,a) so something like [itex]x^\alpha f(b+a-x)[/itex] should work.

But then we would be applying the mean vaue theorem at a and b and the denominator a- b not [itex]a^\alpha- b^\alpha[/itex]. That means we must be applying the mean value theorem at [itex]a^\alpha[/itex] and [itex]b^\alpha[/itex] so need to "fix" the argument of f to give b when [itex]b= a^\alpha[/itex] and vice- versa.

That finally gives us [itex]\phi(x)= xf((a^\alpha+ b^\alpha- x)
^{1/\alpha})[/itex]. The mean value theorem, applied to [itex]\phi[/itex] on the interval from [itex]a^\alpha[/itex], [itex]b^\alpha[/itex] gives
[tex]\frac{\phi(a^\alpha)- \phi(b^\alpha)}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= \phi'(c')[/itex]
for some c' between [itex]a^\alpha[/itex] and [itex]b^\alpha[/itex]. c' here is not the "c" in you original formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought we apply mean theorim to f(x)

its very similar and we have f'(c) which is the same as the original fornula
??

transgalactic said:
i thought we apply mean theorim to f(x)

its very similar and we have f'(c) which is the same as the original fornula
??

If you had known how to apply the MVT to that question you would have done so, wouldn't you? SInce you opened this thread and asked how to prove that fancy equation using the MVT I assume you didn't know how to beneficially apply the theorem. (To whatever function, be it f itself or be it that some auxiliary function needs to be constructed.)

So, I suggest you try and understand what HallsofIvy wrote; only expressing your awe in view of some more elaborate reasoning than your own is little constructive.

HallsofIvy said:
You want to use the mean value theorem to prove that, for appropriate conditions on f, a, b, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] that you don't give,
[tex]\frac{\left|\begin{array}{cc}f(a) & a^\alpha \\ f(b) & b^\alpha\end{array}\right|}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= f(c)- \frac{cf'(c)}{\alpha}[/tex]

That is the same as
[tex]\frac{a^\alpha f(b)- b^\alpha f(a)}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= f(c)- \frac{cf(c)}{\alpha}[/itex]

Obviously we have to construct some function [itex]\phi[/itex] to which to apply the mean value theorem. My first thought was something like [itex]x^\alpha f(x)[/itex] but I notice that "a" and "b" are swapped in the numerator. The line y= b-(x-a)= a+b- x passes thorugh (a,b) and (b,a) so something like [itex]x^\alpha f(b+a-x)[/itex] should work.

But then we would be applying the mean vaue theorem at a and b and the denominator a- b not [itex]a^\alpha- b^\alpha[/itex]. That means we must be applying the mean value theorem at [itex]a^\alpha[/itex] and [itex]b^\alpha[/itex] so need to "fix" the argument of f to give b when [itex]b= a^\alpha[/itex] and vice- versa.

That finally gives us [itex]\phi(x)= xf((a^\alpha+ b^\alpha- x)
^{1/\alpha})[/itex]. The mean value theorem, applied to [itex]\phi[/itex] on the interval from [itex]a^\alpha[/itex], [itex]b^\alpha[/itex] gives
[tex]\frac{\phi(a^\alpha)- \phi(b^\alpha)}{a^\alpha- b^\alpha}= \phi'(c')[/itex]
for some c' between [itex]a^\alpha[/itex] and [itex]b^\alpha[/itex]. c' here is not the "c" in you original formula.

"y= b-(x-a)= a+b- x "
whats the role of this??

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem and how is it used in proofs?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for any differentiable function on an interval, there exists a point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval. In proofs, the Mean Value Theorem is used to show the existence of a specific value within an interval that satisfies certain conditions.

2. How do you identify when the Mean Value Theorem can be applied in a proof?

In order to apply the Mean Value Theorem in a proof, the function in question must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the endpoints of the interval must have the same function values.

3. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to any type of function?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to differentiable functions. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point within the interval.

4. How does the Mean Value Theorem relate to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a generalization of the Intermediate Value Theorem. The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a continuous function takes on two different values at two points within an interval, then it must also take on every value in between those two points. The Mean Value Theorem takes this concept one step further by showing the existence of a specific point where the function takes on the average of those two values.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used to find the exact value of a function at a specific point?

No, the Mean Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of a point within an interval that satisfies certain conditions. It does not provide a method for finding the exact value of the function at that point.