Find the Day 30 Days from Now: Modulo 7 Math

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
In summary: If you didn't count Monday, it would be Tuesday. So it depends on whether you count the starting day or not.In summary, to find the day of the week 30 days from now, you can use addition modulo 7. However, it depends on whether you count the starting day or not. If you count the starting day, then the day would be the remainder of 30 divided by 7, which is 2, and Tuesday would be the day. If you do not count the starting day, then the day would be 1 plus the remainder of 29 divided by 7, which is also 2, and Wednesday would be the day. It is important to clarify the language of the question to determine the
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Days of the week are 0 - Sun to 6 - Sat. Today is Monday, use addition modulo 7 to find the day of the week 30 days from now.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0 - Sunday, 1 - Monday, 2 - Tuesday, 3 - Wednesday, 4 - Thursday, 5 - Friday, and 6 - Saturday. Do we just take 30 mod 7 which is equal to 2 and Tuesday would be our day? Or must I add 1 + 2 = 3 so that Wednesday is the day?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:

Homework Statement

Number the days of the week from 0 - Sun to 6 - Sat. Today is Monday, use addition modulo 7 to find the day of the week 30 days from now.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0 - Sunday, 1 - Monday, 2 - Tuesday, 3 - Wednesday, 4 - Thursday, 5 - Friday, and 6 - Saturday. Do we just take 30 mod 7 which is equal to 2 and Tuesday would be our day? Or must I add 1 + 2 = 3 so that Wednesday is the day?

Thank you.
You could simply count the 30 days to answer your question.

If today is Monday, then we have day 1. In 30 days we have day 31, which is 3 modulo seven, i.e. Wednesday.
However, if "from now on" means to count today as well, then it's 1+29=30 = 2, Tuesday.

Thus it is more a matter of language than of mathematics. I hate those questions for their notorious ambiguity.

Likes CivilSigma
fresh_42 said:
You could simply count the 30 days to answer your question.

If today is Monday, then we have day 1. In 30 days we have day 31, which is 3 modulo seven, i.e. Wednesday.
However, if "from now on" means to count today as well, then it's 1+29=30 = 2, Tuesday.

Thus it is more a matter of language than of mathematics. I hate those questions for their notorious ambiguity.
Yes that's why I'm confused, that's how the question was worded and I wasn't sure if I had to include the Monday or not, when I counted it I got Tuesday but I am still unsure if I must include the Monday. Thank you for the reply however.

ver_mathstats said:
Yes that's why I'm confused, that's how the question was worded and I wasn't sure if I had to include the Monday or not, when I counted it I got Tuesday but I am still unsure if I must include the Monday. Thank you for the reply however.
If today is Monday, what day is it one day from now? Did you count Monday? If you did, it would still be Monday one day from now.

Likes jbriggs444

What is the purpose of finding the day 30 days from now using modulo 7 math?

The purpose of finding the day 30 days from now using modulo 7 math is to determine the day of the week that will fall on a specific date, without having to manually count the days. This can be useful for planning events or scheduling tasks.

How does modulo 7 math help in finding the day 30 days from now?

Modulo 7 math helps in finding the day 30 days from now by dividing the number of days by 7 and taking the remainder. The remainder will correspond to a specific day of the week, which can be used to determine the day 30 days from now.

What is the formula for finding the day 30 days from now using modulo 7 math?

The formula for finding the day 30 days from now using modulo 7 math is (current day + 30) % 7. The current day can be represented as a number, with Sunday being 0, Monday being 1, and so on.

Can I use modulo 7 math to find the day 30 days from now for any date?

Yes, you can use modulo 7 math to find the day 30 days from now for any date. The formula remains the same, but the current day will change based on the date you are trying to find the day for.

Are there any limitations to using modulo 7 math to find the day 30 days from now?

Yes, there are some limitations to using modulo 7 math to find the day 30 days from now. This method assumes that every month has 30 days, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account leap years, which may affect the day of the week. Additionally, this method may not work for dates far in the future due to changes in the calendar system.