Yahoo Chat: What to Do When a Close Friend Doesn't Reply

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chat
In summary, if you PM 1 of your close friends after a long time, but they wouldn't reply to your PM while you're sure they're been online, you would think something was up.

What would you do if 1 of your close friend ignore you while s/he's been online?

• Total voters
Lisa!
Gold Member
I guess you're familar with yahoo chat! So I feel free to ask this question: If you PM 1 of your close friend after a long time, but s/he wouldn't reply to your PM while you're sure s/he's been online. What would you think?
Note that you hadn't any argument with that person the last time you talked to each other nad you've just been apart for some months.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had that happen with email conversations, not PM's---there could be a lot of reasons, but if it happens a few times, I tend to think that that person doesn't care.

It could have been accidently deleted. They could be waiting until they feel they can give an adequate response before they respond. They could have gotten busy and forgot.

I'd say wait a bit then send another message. If they still don't respond, then maybe something is up.

I have very dear friends that I will intend to respond to and it may be weeks or even months before I reply. I still think of them every day, but I have become absolutely horrible at responding.

Lisa! said:
I guess you're familar with yahoo chat! So I feel free to ask this question: If you PM 1 of your close friend after a long time, but s/he wouldn't reply to your PM while you're sure s/he's been online. What would you think?
Note that you hadn't any argument with that person the last time you talked to each other nad you've just been apart for some months.
I voted - "It depends on the person". If it's a close friend, then I'd contact with a brief followup to ask if things were OK.

Usually if someone doesn't respond, I'm left wondering if I have said or done something to make the person upset.

Sometimes, I've gotten overwhelmed with matters that I just don't get around to reponding to someone, even a friend. :frown:

He/ she could have forgotten to log out, and probably was not present when you sent him/her the message assuming him/her to be online.

Hey, I want to talk to Astronuc via live chat! :biggrin:

Pick up the phone and call. If you can't do that because you don't have the number then perhaps wonder if it's worth to bother in the first place.

If the answer is to that yes, 'sure I bother', then select an apropriate e-card that you think is the most appropriate (be audacious) with an opening notification and see if you get that notification.

I would think that the the contact was no longer sexy, you seem to emit this ambiance may be talking to trees is your thing.

I would just assume they were engaged in another conversation when you saw them online, and didn't want to interrupt that conversation to start another. It's sort of like ignoring call waiting when someone sends a message when you're already engaged in a conversation with someone else.

this has got me thinking--not directly about the poll, but in general--

I wonder if places like 'myspace' using the word 'friend' and 'friends' has desensitized the word. 'Friend' had a different meaning when I was growing up. ---and that phone calls to touch base with someone has set aside somewhat with all the texting, emails, etc.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Besides what Moonbear said, it could also be that she actually wan't near her computer at the time. They tend to log you on automatically when you turn on the computer. Maybe she turned it on, then forgot to turn it off and went to class.

So there is no need to do any calculation here - if you want to call her, call her. I know it's easy to try to read into any action/inaction from people who may or may not really be your friends (I'm apt to overanalyze things like that as well), but you have to resist it.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
I wouldn't read too much into this. Besides what Moonbear said, it could also be that she actually wan't near her computer at the time. They tend to log you on automatically when you turn on the computer. Maybe she turned it on, then forgot to turn it off and went to class.
My daughter does that. When she used my PC (formerly the family PC), my daughter used to leave her apps (IE, IM/AIM, . . .) open when she left the PC. I had to log into her account and close out conversations that had not progressed from the previous day. Leaving IM's open consumes resources. Now that she has her own PC, she continues to do that, but that's her problem, not mine.

I walked away from the PC being logged onto the PF for hours--and whole days sometimes

I would ignore you for good Lisa!. I have already tried, buy you don't seem to go away. Dont you take a hint?

Astronuc said:
My daughter does that. When she used my PC (formerly the family PC), my daughter used to leave her apps (IE, IM/AIM, . . .) open when she left the PC. I had to log into her account and close out conversations that had not progressed from the previous day. Leaving IM's open consumes resources. Now that she has her own PC, she continues to do that, but that's her problem, not mine.

I'm the total opposite. I set all those programs so they don't automatically log in (that drives me nuts that it's the default setting), and if I am on, I usually still set it to show me as offline...the people I want to converse with know when to "meet" me. I don't like random strangers butting in because they see I'm online.

I would call them on the phone, and say "Whats Up?, I tried to message you, but didnt get a reply".

Moonbear said:
I would just assume they were engaged in another conversation when you saw them online, and didn't want to interrupt that conversation to start another. It's sort of like ignoring call waiting when someone sends a message when you're already engaged in a conversation with someone else.

Good way of putting it.

That's what I would think or something along those lines.

I use instant messaging a lot. I regularly ignore people when I'm in an important conversation or when I'm not at the computer.

Well, I should have explained a bit more since now it seems that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill! You know it's not the 1st time that such a thing happens to me. And you know I've never put much of thought on that in the similar cases because I simply take it as a technical problem. And if I needed to talk to that person for some reasons I'd call them later on, send them an email or sms without even asking why my PM wasn't responded by them.But this case is different! I think he might have not responded to my PM due to:

1. a technical problem: I mean he might have not received my PM which is very improbable.

2. making the decision to forget me forever: In this case he's deleted my name from his list and has ignored me. That means he doesn't want to see me online since it drives him crazy when he sees me online and I don't PM him as he mentioned subtly once:rolleyes:

I guess I'd better not to call him because I'm afraid that the 2nd possibility might be right.:frown:

I voted: It depends on the person

If it is a person that I have not seen for a long time (like they moved or something), I would call them if I had their number, or I would spam them to make sure ot a response (they always know that I spam only in good will).

If its a person that I talk to all the time, I'll just call them.

If its someone that I recently met, I will do nothing.

If its someone that I met a long time ago, but only know well enough to remember their name, I will spam them.

Lisa! said:
2. making the decision to forget me forever: In this case he's deleted my name from his list and has ignored me. That means he doesn't want to see me online since it drives him crazy when he sees me online and I don't PM him as he mentioned subtly once:rolleyes:

I guess I'd better not to call him because I'm afraid that the 2nd possibility might be right.:frown:

well, that may be be best way to find out whether you could be wasting your time even thinking about him.

Lisa! said:

:frown: Sorry to hear that Lisa. His loss.

Why can't people be straightforward and say not to contact them rather than just leaving a person hanging? I've never understood that, I think it's very rude.

Last edited:
Well I'm not thinking about it anymore!:wink:

Math Jeans said:
If its someone that I met a long time ago, but only know well enough to remember their name, I will spam them.
:rofl:

I can't ignore people anymore since my ignore list is full of spammers!:devil::grumpy:

Astronuc said:

I have 2 pc's at home and sometimes people forgot to shutdown, try the program called autoshutdown, when there's no computer activity the PC shutdown by itself.

1. Why is my close friend not replying to my messages on Yahoo Chat?

There could be a variety of reasons why your friend is not responding to your messages on Yahoo Chat. They may be busy with other things, they may not have seen your messages, or they may be intentionally avoiding communication with you. It's important to communicate openly with your friend and try to understand the reason for their lack of response.

2. How long should I wait before following up with my friend on Yahoo Chat?

It's best to give your friend some time to respond before following up. Try to be patient and understanding, as they may have a valid reason for not replying right away. If it's been a few days and you still haven't heard back, it's okay to send a friendly follow-up message.

3. What should I do if my friend is not responding on Yahoo Chat but is active on other social media platforms?

It's possible that your friend is intentionally avoiding communication with you on Yahoo Chat. In this case, it's best to respect their boundaries and give them some space. If you are concerned, you can try reaching out to them through a different platform or in person.

4. Is it appropriate to confront my friend about their lack of response on Yahoo Chat?

Before confronting your friend, it's important to consider their perspective and the potential reasons why they may not be responding. If you do decide to talk to them about it, try to approach the conversation calmly and respectfully. It's possible that there may be a misunderstanding or that they are going through a difficult time and need some support.

5. How can I maintain a close friendship if my friend is not responding on Yahoo Chat?

Communication is key in any relationship, so it's important to keep trying to reach out to your friend and have open and honest conversations about your friendship. If they are consistently not responding, it may be a sign that the friendship is not as strong as it once was. In this case, it's important to respect their boundaries and focus on maintaining and nurturing other friendships.