Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to vote in the photo contest

How to vote in the photo contest

Poll closed Nov 15, 2009.
  1. Single vote

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. multiple votes

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. type of voting depending on number of entries (specify)

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    The discussion is here:

and

Please give your opinion.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2
    Borek expressed my opinion perfectly.

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    I liked the one vote, it really made me look carefully at the photos.

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes I couldn't vote because I cvouldn't decide. I need multiple.

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5

berkeman

Too bad polls don't let you rank the photos in order... The one with the lowest cumlative score would win.

7. Nov 10, 2009 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

I vote for the best three

8. Nov 10, 2009 #7
    I like this.

I don't see what the point in multiple votes is? If you vote for more than one, isn't that almost the same as not voting at all?

9. Nov 10, 2009 #8
    Maybe vote for your top 3.

I remember at some digital art contests this is what was done. You would post your vote like

Give your reasoning for the votes and then it would tallied up based on a point system.

10. Nov 10, 2009 #9

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I like the option of multiple votes, but I only use them if I'm really impressed with more than one entry and feel it would be unfair to have to choose between them.

(It would be nice to have a ranking system where one could vote for first and optionally second and third, with more points for first than second or third, but that seems to be beyond our current technology).

11. Nov 10, 2009 #10

Borek

Lol, 6:6 tie now.

12. Nov 10, 2009 #11
    Seems like 3 or 4 people like the "Ranking" method. Maybe we could add that to the poll? I would vote for that.

Or at least add a "Rankine" method :wink:

13. Nov 10, 2009 #12
    I'm somewhat disappointed I can't place multiple votes in this poll :)

I'd say, multiple votes for > 8 photos. <= 8 gets single vote. It'd be even better if the multiple votes can be limited to 2.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  14. Nov 10, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I like ZZ's "round" format. One vote each round. If there are too many photos, split them up, then run off the high vote-getters of each round in a final. I'm sure it was more work for him, but the format seemed to be fair and interesting.

15. Nov 10, 2009 #14
    I think Zapper hit it right on the head:

What I would like to see though is who voted for whom, just like here: :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1684 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Nov 10, 2009 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too. I also voted for single votes, for the same reasons ZZ mentioned.

The other nice thing about being limited to only one vote is that it doesn't feel so bad if you don't get any votes. You can still delude yourself into believing people liked your photo, but it was just second best. :biggrin:

17. Nov 10, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I have experienced that over and over again (vicariously, of course).

18. Nov 10, 2009 #17

Evo

If we had multiple choice, more people would get votes, and the results of the winner would more accurately reflect the overall top choice.

I can't tell you how many times I just refused to even vote if I could only select one. If we go back to a single vote, I'll just stop voting again, I think a lot of people feel this way. They look in, can't decide and lose interest.

If we make it known that there can be multiple votes, I think more people would participate. I did not know that multiple choice was an option until a few weeks ago because I had lost interest due the the single choice restriction.

19. Nov 10, 2009 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too, I often can't decide on just one, so I like the multi-vote option. About half the time I end up voting for just one, anyway.

20. Nov 11, 2009 #19
    Lol, looks like we are still undecided.

21. Nov 11, 2009 #20

Borek

For me that means Andre is allowed to make his pick :smile:

Well, if you ask me he was allowed to do that from the very beginning, but now nobody can say 'we told you to do it the other way'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook