Creating a Discontinuous 3D Function for Quantum Dots

• I
  • Thread starter Ben Wilson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a 3D function where inside an ellipse, z=1, and outside, z=0, with the function being non-continuous. The problem is related to describing quantum dots in 2 and 3 dimensions. A possible solution is to use a conditional function in MATLAB or Fortran to define the desired function using given x and y vectors.
Ben Wilson
I have, say, an ellipse in the x-y plane: (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1

I want a 3d (e.g. z) function where inside the ellipse z=+1, outside z=0; the function is not continuous.

so in effect what I'm left with is a large plane where z= 0, and a small ellipse cut out raised to z=1.

How do I write what I want in terms that i can implement it in computations.

%this problem comes from describing quantum dots in 2 and 3 dimensions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ben Wilson said:
I have, say, an ellipse in the x-y plane: (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1

I want a 3d (e.g. z) function where inside the ellipse z=+1, outside z=0; the function is not continuous.

so in effect what I'm left with is a large plane where z= 0, and a small ellipse cut out raised to z=1.

How do I write what I want in terms that i can implement it in computations.

%this problem comes from describing quantum dots in 2 and 3 dimensions.
How about this?
$$f(x, y) = \begin{cases} 1, & \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} \le 1 \\
0, & \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} > 1\end{cases}$$

Mark44 said:
How about this?
$$f(x, y) = \begin{cases} 1, & \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} \le 1 \\
0, & \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} > 1\end{cases}$$

that looks perfect tbh. Do you have any idea how i could implement that into a program?
for instance if i have two vectors representing my x and y space, how would i go about describing this function in MATLAB or fortran or something?

Ben Wilson said:
that looks perfect tbh. Do you have any idea how i could implement that into a program?
for instance if i have two vectors representing my x and y space, how would i go about describing this function in MATLAB or fortran or something?
Your vectors are really points in the x-y plane. For a given point (x, y), calculate ##b^2x^2 + a^2y^2##. If this is greater than ##a^2b^2##, your function should return 0. Otherwise, it should return 0.

thanks you have been an amazing help

1. What is a 3D function?

A 3D function is a mathematical representation of a three-dimensional space, where the output of the function is dependent on three input variables. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model complex systems and objects.

2. How do you define a 3D function?

A 3D function can be defined using mathematical notation, such as f(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2, where x, y, and z are the input variables and f(x,y,z) is the output. It can also be represented graphically as a surface or a set of points in a 3D coordinate system.

3. What are the different types of 3D functions?

There are several types of 3D functions, including linear, quadratic, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. These functions can be further classified as continuous or discontinuous, depending on whether they have a smooth or abrupt change in their values.

4. How can you graph a 3D function?

To graph a 3D function, you can use specialized software or tools such as graphing calculators or computer programs. These tools allow you to input the function and manipulate the viewing angle to visualize it in a 3D space. You can also plot points on a 3D coordinate system manually to create a visual representation of the function.

5. How is a 3D function used in real-world applications?

3D functions have various real-world applications, such as modeling physical phenomena in physics and engineering, creating computer-generated images and animations in computer graphics, and simulating complex systems in economics and biology. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to make predictions and identify patterns in three-dimensional data.