Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to wrap parcels

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

This should be very simple but mine all ways look tatty, and i seem to need a third hand,
    irregular shapes are the hardest and the paper is never wide enough for big gifts.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Although I'm actually pretty good at traditional wrapping, my general solution is to use aluminum foil (shiny side out, of course). You can either use it as a regular wrap, or just crumple it around irregular shapes. A couple of strips of invisible tape, and your ready to roll.

4. Dec 15, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

If you've got clear tape, you can make up any width of wrapping paper you want. If the wrapping paper has recurrent graphics, you can often match them pretty well, and do a good job wrapping oversized boxes. If your table isn't big enough for the job, wrap the big boxes on the floor.

5. Dec 15, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Put it in a box... then wrap the box.
    Often I use a box that has nothing to do with actual gift.
    (I once stuffed a nice sweater into a cereal box.)

6. Dec 15, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

I facet stones as a hobby, and once gave my cousin one mounted in a gold pendant for Christmas. I played the "Russian Doll" trick on her, nesting that little box inside larger and larger boxes, ending up with a big box that our humidifier came in. We had pretty much stopped buying Christmas gifts by that time, and still had Christmas wrapping paper kicking around, so I neatly wrapped every box (I think there were 7-8) and stuffed the voids with crumpled newspaper. It took her about 15 minutes to get to the pendant, and her living room looked like a trash heap. :rofl: She cried when she saw the pendant. The stone was cut from a piece of the richest, deepest, cleanest Maine amethyst that I had ever got my hands on.

7. Dec 15, 2007 #6

dst

:biggrin:

8. Dec 15, 2007 #7

Mk

Nice link dst, I'll use that formula :smile:

9. Dec 15, 2007 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"The Science of Wrapping"

They overlook one thing. When you buy the gift, most stores put the gift in a bag. If you really want to save paper, just tape the bag closed and tape a gift card to it.

10. Dec 15, 2007 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Ye gods dst, that is some link for working out the correct amount of paper to use.

robphy, good idea if you have a box near to the right size.

11. Dec 15, 2007 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Most people that I know here do in fact just use a gift bag. That takes the fun out of it for me.
    That math stuff is just nuts, though. I just take the gift and lay it down on the paper. I then roll it over with the paper to see how much is needed on that axis, then go slightly over half of the remainng dimension on each end. I get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch overlap on every side, which seems pretty efficient to me.

12. Dec 15, 2007 #11

wolram

Gold Member

This the easy bit, the hard bit is getting nice ends without creating wrinkles.

13. Dec 15, 2007 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Practice, me'lad... just practice.

14. Dec 15, 2007 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I like to have fun wrapping.

1] I bought my bro a big pack of AA batteries. Rather than wrapping the whole pack, I separated them out and wrapped them in one four foot long present like linked sausages.

2] I bought my son a shelf unit from Ikea, but it was way too big too fit under the tree. So I put the tag in the tree, which had a piece of string attached to it, which trailed down the tree, across the length of the living room, around two doorframes, out into the hall, into the library, behind three book shelves, over to the stairs, where it attached to the shelf unit.

15. Dec 15, 2007 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Good one, Dave.
    I just either heard or read a quote from Steven Wright. He said that he'd bought his brother a roll of wrapping paper for Xmas. Had to tell the giftwrapper at the store to make sure that she used a different pattern so that he'd know when to quit unwrapping.

16. Dec 15, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tape, lots and lots of tape! :biggrin: Okay, maybe not too much or everyone will make fun of how much tape you put on the presents.

First, wrap the paper around the middle-length direction so the open ends are over the shortest sides. Now, stick a piece of tape in the middle to hold it together. Now, go to one end, and fold down the side that has the open edge in it and tape that down (the more experienced wrapper doesn't need tape at this step, but it makes it easier). For the inexperienced wrapper, repeat this step with the other side, so the box doesn't slide around while you do the rest of the folds. Crease the edge of the fold neatly, and then make another crease where it lines up with each of the edges of the box, and neatly crease the flap this creates on the side. Fold in each side, and tape in place. Now, make another crease along the bottom edge and fold up the bottom flap (if the edge of the paper is crooked, you can fold it under once to leave a neater edge) and tape this in place too. Repeat with the other side and you have a neatly wrapped box. This is easier with heavier paper than lighter weight paper, because the heavy paper doesn't tend to wrinkle as much. If it's not quite as neat as you intended, wrap around a big, wide ribbon and stick on a large bow...that'll hide most mistakes, or at least distract the recipient with the pretty ribbon and bow so they don't notice the paper isn't very neat. :biggrin:

17. Dec 15, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I'll have to do the battery sausage trick! I'm giving my nephew a present that requires SIX batteries. :rolleyes: He's old enough not to eat the batteries if I give them to him as a present (I used to just give the batteries to my sister), so that'll be a fun way to wrap them. :biggrin:

18. Dec 15, 2007 #17

wolram

Gold Member

One time i had an idea and used wall paper paste, thinking it would make a nice neat parcel, that is ok until my hands were coated in it.

19. Dec 15, 2007 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You podged your gifts? omg your recipients must've hated you!

20. Dec 15, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I'm trying to imagine opening a present that had the wrapping paper pasted to the box! :rofl:

21. Dec 16, 2007 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Gives me a hell of a good idea, though. I'll encase my gifts in concrete and include a hammer with the card.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?