How to write a proposoal for funding

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funding
In summary, the speaker has been invited to present at a joint AMS-MAA meeting in January and is seeking funding to cover expenses. They have been given guidelines for writing a proposal and have some questions about formatting, including information about the support they will receive from their school, and how to make the request for funding. They have been advised to be clear and concise in their proposal.
mattmns
So I did a Math REU this past summer and have been invited to present at the undergraduate poster session at the joint AMS-MAA meeting in January, but being an undergraduate funding is a little difficult, and something of which I know nothing about, so I have a few questions.

The school I did the REU at will reimburse me for at least $200 for anything related to this meeting (flight, hotel, food, etc.). I asked my department about funding, and they said it might be possible, but that they want me to write a 1 page proposal for funding. The lady I talked to gave me some guidelines about what to put in the proposal: specifically, my name and information, the research topic, where the presentation is at, who sponsored the research, dates, and the amount requested.

Now I have a few questions.

1. Formatting: Should I present my name in some special way, should I double space, or anything else?

2. Should I add that the school I did the REU is offering $200 of support? Also our math club will likely give $50. The expected cost of this trip is approximately $600.

3. Should I make it sound as though the funding will be of extreme help? For example, that without funding I would not be able to go?

4. Should I ask for more than I want? That is, I would be thrilled if they payed for just my plane ticket, but I still have a little more cost. Should I ask that they pay for the ticket and some extra for hotel/food cost? Basically, should I ask for a lot and hope they give me some, or ask for just the minimum and hope they give me it all?

5. Anything else that I should definitely add, or definitely not put in this request?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on being invited to present at the joint AMS-MAA meeting in January! It sounds like you have a good understanding of what needs to go into the proposal, which is great.

To answer your questions:
1. Generally, the formatting should follow the conventions of the department or university you are submitting the proposal to. Some departments may even have specific templates or guidelines that they want proposals to follow.
2. It's a good idea to include the $200 of support you will be receiving from the school as well as the expected cost of the trip.
3. You could make it sound as though the funding would be very helpful and make it easier to attend the meeting or present your research, but do not make it sound as though you absolutely cannot go without the funding.
4. It's up to you to decide how much you ask for, but it's best to ask for enough to cover your expenses. It's also a good idea to explain why you need the amount you are asking for (i.e. plane ticket, hotel, food, etc.).
5. Make sure to be clear and concise in your proposal and provide any other relevant information that could help the reviewers make their decision.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your proposal!

Dear researcher,

Thank you for sharing your questions and concerns about writing a proposal for funding. I understand the importance of securing funding for research and presentations, especially as an undergraduate student.

In response to your questions, here are some suggestions and guidelines to consider when writing your proposal:

1. Formatting: It is always a good idea to follow any specific formatting guidelines provided by the funding organization or your department. If none are given, it is best to present your name and information in a clear and professional manner, such as using a standard font and double-spacing. You may also consider including a brief introduction about yourself and your academic background.

2. Mentioning other sources of support: It is appropriate to mention any other sources of support, such as the $200 reimbursement from your REU program and the $50 from your math club. This shows that you have already taken steps to secure funding and are actively seeking additional support from the department.

3. Emphasize the importance of funding: In your proposal, you can mention the potential impact of funding on your ability to attend the joint AMS-MAA meeting and present your research. You can highlight how this opportunity will enhance your academic and professional development, and how the funding will help cover necessary expenses.

4. Requesting the desired amount: It is recommended to request the amount you need to cover all your expenses, including the plane ticket and additional costs for hotel and food. It is important to be realistic about the costs and not ask for more than you actually need. However, you can also mention that any amount of funding would be greatly appreciated and will help alleviate the financial burden.

5. Additional information to include: In addition to the guidelines provided by the department, you may also want to include a brief overview of your research project and its significance, as well as any previous presentations or publications related to the project. It is also helpful to provide a breakdown of the expected costs and a detailed budget.

I hope these suggestions will assist you in writing a strong proposal for funding. Best of luck with your presentation at the joint AMS-MAA meeting!

What is a proposal for funding?

A proposal for funding is a written document that outlines a project or research idea and explains why it deserves financial support. It is typically submitted to organizations, such as government agencies or private foundations, that provide grants or funding for specific purposes.

Why do I need to write a proposal for funding?

Writing a proposal for funding is necessary because it allows you to clearly communicate your project idea and its potential impact to potential funders. It also helps you to demonstrate your credibility, organization, and planning skills, which can increase your chances of receiving funding.

What should be included in a proposal for funding?

A typical proposal for funding includes a summary of the project, its objectives and goals, a detailed description of the methods and activities, a budget breakdown, a timeline, and information about the qualifications and experience of the project team. It should also include a clear explanation of the need for the project and its potential impact on the target audience or community.

How long should a proposal for funding be?

The length of a proposal for funding can vary, but in general, it should be concise and to the point. Most funders have specific guidelines for the length of proposals, so it is important to follow those guidelines. However, a typical proposal can range from 5-15 pages, depending on the complexity of the project and the requirements of the funder.

What are some tips for writing a successful proposal for funding?

Some tips for writing a successful proposal for funding include thoroughly researching the funder and their specific requirements, clearly defining the problem or need the project is addressing, providing a detailed and realistic budget, highlighting the qualifications and expertise of the project team, and including compelling and relevant supporting data or evidence. It is also important to proofread and edit the proposal carefully before submitting it.