1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to write a Scientific Report.

1. Jan 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I know there's the following sections:

Abstract
    Introduction
    Method Used
    Results
    Data analysis
    Discussion
    Conclusion
    Awknowledgement
    References

But when there are two areas of the experiment to be investigated, say measuring the wavelength of light for green and yellow using diffraction gratings, do you talk about them in these headings, or do you create these headings again for each part of the experiment?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course I don't know exactly what your experiment looks like, but it would seem logical to me that you have two separate sets of results for green and yellow. So I would make subsections "Green" and "Yellow" in the results and data analysis section. The method used is probably the same for both, isn't it? Also, in the discussion and conclusion, you probably don't need two different sections. It can look like: "The data from section ... show that green light is a primary color on most computer displays, while we have shown in table ... from section... that yellow is not" - e.g. you can mix it into one running story.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?