Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to write scientific terms

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    I don't know how to write scientific and mathematical terms in pf like matrix,vectors,differentiation,integration,curl,divergence etc.moreover i don't know the meanings of different types of wraps enlisted in the bar above the writing page.
    what is the meaning of the?how to write through this pf.

CODE
    PHP
    SUP
    SUB
    SPOILER
    YOUTUBE
    STRIKE
    please explain all of them...how to write through them.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Here's a guide for how to use LaTeX to write in mathematical terms
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

As for the rest of them...

Code (Text):
    This is CODE
    PHP:
    This is PHP
    This is SUP, you can use it like this 105

This is SUB, you can use it like this 105

This is a Spoiler, use it when you want to give readers the option to decide if they want to know e.g. when talking about a films plot

This is youtube (you have to take the last part after the V= to get it to work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

[STRIKE]This is a strike through. You can use it to be sarcastic, amongst more legitimate uses.[/STRIKE]

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    Why don't you try out some of them for yourself and see what happens?

You can preview the result without submitting it.

To get you going the 'sub' icon in the advanced reply box top is very useful to produce such as 'Aa'

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4

Ryan_m_b

One more thing plus a bit of explanation: quote puts what people have written into a quote box. As an example if I take what Studiot has written:

"Why don't you try out some of them for yourself and see what happens?

You can preview the result without submitting it.

To get you going the 'sub' icon in the advanced reply box top is very useful to produce such as 'Aa'"

I can put [noparse]this
    behind[/noparse] which will do this:
    Alternatively I can press the quote button on his post which will make a box with a name so you know who wrote it and a link to the original post (helpful in big threads and for seeing the rest of the post if it isn't all quoted)
    All of the functions work like this. To use them simply highlight the text you want to do something to (e.g. highlight the text you want to turn into a spoiler) and press the button. Alternatively press the button first and type/paste what you want to say inbetween. Or alternatively again manually type them.

Hope this helps.

6. Jun 8, 2012 #5
    Thanks.still have some trouble.but have got a way to find out these.again thanks.

7. Jul 28, 2012 #6
    When I click that link, I get a page that says, "vBulletin Message
    No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

8. Jul 28, 2012 #7

Evo

Someone deleted it.

9. Jul 28, 2012 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook