In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a spacecraft must pass through a rotating circular gate while avoiding sudden movements that could damage the craft. The original poster includes a link to their question and the conversation ends with a humorous comment about the solution potentially being used in a sci-fi movie.
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
Preface
While browsing through unanswered posts in the Classical Physics Workshop, I came across a gem at the link shown below.  For the reader’s convenience, I have included (in italics) the OP’s statement of the question.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ spacecraft -path-with-polar-coordinates.683210/
There is a circular gate rotating at a constant angular speed of  ##\omega##.  The circular gate has a tunnel across its diameter.  The mission is to pass through the gate.  (That is, come in one side of the gate, travel the whole diameter, and exit at the other side.)
Also, craft is neutrally buoyant, the craft has four thrusters (in the i, -i, j, and – j directions), and sudden movements cause ‘slosh’ in the fuel tank that destroys the craft.
I gave a brief response at the time to remove the post from the unanswered group, but the physics...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu, jim mcnamara, vanhees71 and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This reminds me of the wormholes in many sci-fi tv shows and movies where you clearly don't want to bump into the wormhole walls. Maybe some director will spot your solution and factor it into some movie. One can only hope and once can only hope to get some recognition and/or money for its use there. :-)

1. How does the rotation of the tunnel affect my movement?

The rotation of the tunnel creates a centrifugal force that pushes objects towards the outer walls. This force increases as the speed of rotation increases, making it more difficult to move through the tunnel without bumping into the walls.

2. What is the best strategy for zipping through a rotating tunnel?

The best strategy is to maintain a consistent speed and direction while moving through the tunnel. This will help you to counteract the centrifugal force and maintain your balance.

3. Do I need any special equipment to zip through a rotating tunnel?

No, you do not need any special equipment. However, wearing comfortable and non-slip shoes can help you maintain your balance and avoid slipping on the rotating surface.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to zip through a rotating tunnel?

One common mistake is trying to move too quickly or abruptly changing direction, which can cause you to lose your balance and bump into the walls. Another mistake is not paying attention to the rotation of the tunnel and underestimating the force it creates.

5. Is it possible to completely avoid bumping into the walls while zipping through a rotating tunnel?

It is possible, but it requires a lot of practice and skill. Even with the best strategy, there is always a risk of bumping into the walls due to the centrifugal force. It is important to stay focused and be prepared to make small adjustments to your movement as needed.