Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to.

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Get a hexagonal nut out of a round hole, some clever person stuck a hose
    with a 3inch pipe nut into a tank with a round gland, i have been trying on and off for 2 hrs to get it out but it seems impossible, it went in some how,
    the round gland is not damaged so it was not forced in, but which ever way i turn the nut it is about a 1/16 inch to big to come out of the gland.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure you're taking it apart in the order it was put together? Does a larger piece need to come off so you can get the nut off from the other side of it?

4. Jun 8, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I can not get to the other side Moon B, it is a sealed tank, this is driving me nuts, i can usually work things like this out, but this one seems impossible, and they want to use the tank in 1hr.

5. Jun 8, 2006 #4
    Try cooling it down?

6. Jun 8, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I just went the other way Rach and put boiling water in the tank, it is so close but not close enough, i have tried all sorts of leaver and moved the nut every which way, the tank never gets any way near to the temp of boiling water.

7. Jun 8, 2006 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Try getting the nut perpendicular to the hole, and align it so the sides and not the vertices are lined up with the edges of the round hole as you try to remove it. You may need a coat hanger or some type of grabbing device to get the nut horizontal while it's still attached to the hose.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  8. Jun 8, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

If you can reach it, I'd suggest grinding the corners off with a Dremel or some such device. The nut can then be unscrewed by either tapping it CCW with a drift punch, or drilling a couple of holes in it and using two punches clamped in a Vise-Grips as a 'screwdriver'.

edit: Since I saw Jeff's post after I'd written this one, I went back and reread the original question. Is the nut not actually screwed onto something? If so, then Jeff's approach is probably the best.

9. Jun 8, 2006 #8
    Put it in a fridge (or better yet, freezer). It might shrink enough to come loose.

edit: Apparently that's impossible I see, try adding ice-water.

10. Jun 8, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No pun intended? :uhh:

You've probably already considered this too, but is the nut supposed to stay where it is and the hose unthreads from it?

It's tough to help much when we can't see exactly what's going on. :frown:

Or maybe some idiot really did install the hose and nut before the tank was finished being built without any consideration that you might need to get it off to replace or repair it at some time in the future.

11. Jun 8, 2006 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Well that'd be a long trip. :rolleyes: Half a teaspoon of petrol, and you wouldn't have time to put on your seatbelt. :tongue:

12. Jun 8, 2006 #11
    What's a petrol? I thought it was some kind of seabird?

13. Jun 8, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: It's British gasoline. :biggrin:

14. Jun 8, 2006 #13

wolram

Gold Member

If you can imagine a round cylinder tank with a domed end, on the domed end a threaded pipe gland sticks out 2 and a 1/2 inches, normally a 3inch pipe nut is screwed on to this gland, but some how some one has inserted
    a hose with a smaller pipe nut attached into it.
    we only have 20mins left so i might have to detach the pipe and let the nut fall to the bottom, omg.

15. Jun 8, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, that sounds more promising! I'll bet you the manufacturers even sell a nifty, but expensive, tool just for doing that to get this hose and nut apart. :biggrin:

16. Jun 8, 2006 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, so one end of the hose is sticking out the top of the tank, and the other end (with the 3" nut on it) is stuck in the gland at the botom?

How big is the tank? Can you get inside it? Where's the outlet go? What might happen if you yank real hard on the pipe?

What are the : 1. hose OD, 2. Nut flat-to flat dist (or OD, whichever), and 3. gland ID ?

17. Jun 8, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, so normally it gets attached to the outside, and someone has instead shoved a hose on the inside? :yuck: Is there much room to reach around the hose if you can get a narrow tool down just to grab and hold the edge of the nut (something like those long pliers you use to get a fish hook out of a fish that has swallowed it whole) while you detach the hose, maybe you can hang onto it enough to pull it out the way Jeff suggested, but without the hose still attached, and avoid it dropping to the bottom.

There are a number of surgical instruments that would be able to do this task, but I'm not sure what's available to you in tools.

18. Jun 8, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, Woolie, but I'm still confused about the set-up. I was thinking of something along the line of an acetylene tank with a shielded valve. Obviously, that isn't right. Do you mean that the valve (gland) is vertically oriented and in some sort of 'tunnel'? If so, how does the nut being smaller than standard cause a problem? I thought that it was oversized and that's what caused the problem.

19. Jun 9, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh oh! It's been more than 20 min, and no update. I hope Wollie figured something out in the nick of time!

20. Jun 9, 2006 #19

wolram

Gold Member

If you look in cross section the pipe looks like a T, now imagin the upright
    part of the T is a tube, and the cross bar is a thread, normally a 3inch female pipe nut threads on to this thread, what some has done is to put a pipe with a smaller pipe nut on (into) this T, i have tried Jeffs suggestion
    with the nut in all three parralels, but with the nut in the center of the tube
    an vertical, it is still to big to clear the tube.

21. Jun 9, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there anywhere near enough clearance to get something in to just cut the nut? Bolt cutters or a hacksaw? Then pull it out in two pieces instead of one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?